Michael Pineda complains of sore shoulder after rough night

Mar 30, 2012, 10:18 PM EST

Michael Pineda AP

Update: Pineda complained of shoulder soreness after his outing tonight and will undergo an MRI on Saturday. It’s still not official, but now it seems pretty certain that he won’t be in the rotation to start the year.

///

Michael Pineda is already hearing the boo-birds in pinstripes, without even having pitched in a regular-season game for the Yankees.

The struggling right-hander was pulled after allowing six runs in 2 2/3 innings against the Phillies on Friday night, taking his spring ERA to 5.68. With his velocity still down, there’s a good chance he’ll be bumped from the rotation and optioned to Triple-A.

While Pineda’s lost velocity has long been the talk of Yankees camp, he was still pretty effective until tonight, going 1-0 with a 3.31 ERA and a 16/7 K/BB ratio in 16 1/3 innings. If the Yankees didn’t have six starters for five spots, they’d almost surely give him a chance to work through the velocity issues in the regular season. Still, sending him down seems like the obvious choice now. They’ll still have Ivan Nova, Phil Hughes and Freddy Garcia behind CC Sabathia and Hiroki Kuroda in the rotation.

As disappointing as the series of events has been, it’s way too early to rule on the Jesus Montero-for-Pineda trade. Pineda showed some of the best stuff in the AL last year, and while the drop off in his fastball is a big concern, he says he’s healthy. It’s probably time to write him off for April, but he still could be a difference maker for the Bombers this season.

1. uyf1950 - Mar 30, 2012 at 8:30 PM

I’m going to go out on a limb and say with his performance tonight Pineda punched hit ticket. The next train stop Scranton Wilkes Barre.

• Kevin S. - Mar 30, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Pineda’s going to take a year off before heading to AAA?

• proudlycanadian - Mar 30, 2012 at 9:42 PM

My negative feelings about Pineda began in the second half of 2011. After I had added him to my fantasy team, he proceeded to perform poorly. His ERA post the All Star Break was more than 2 runs a game higher than it was prior to the All Star Break.

2. Reflex - Mar 30, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Just wait till its the Red Sox pounding him, then maybe the Yanks fans will admit they got fleeced in this deal. I know my position is unpopular, and no one will acknowledge it when I am proven right, but Jack took the Yanks for a ride(for the second time, the first being when he took their offer of Montero for Lee and parlayed it into Smoak instead).

Sold high. Just wait till the elbow or shoulder go.

• bozosforall - Mar 30, 2012 at 8:45 PM

The Red Sox need to worry about their own pitchers getting pounded. And about their pitchers pounding pitchers…of beer in the clubhouse, that is.

• uyf1950 - Mar 30, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Reflex, considering you’ve said on more then one occasion that your not a Mariners fan just that you live near there and that you follow NL teams how is it you very seldom ever post on anything other then the Mariners. Since you are so quick to judge Pineda’s long term prospects have you bothered to look that through 2 regular season games Montero is 1-7. Now what kind of long term conclusions can a person draw from that. About the same as you can draw from Pineda’s limited performances to date. Your comments remind me of a saying that I think fits you to a tee. If you will allow me to quote ” “better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt”. Have a nice evening.

• Reflex - Mar 30, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Shows how much you pay attention. I comment on a number of topics. Got into it with chrisny about the Mets just a couple weeks ago.l I comment on stadium building and the politics around that. I comment a lot about pitchers using the Inverted W because I find it terrible that teams are destroying the arms of young men mostly because of their reluctance to pay attention to new information.

And yes, I tend to comment on Mariners’ stories because, well, I live here. If I lived in San Fran I’d be more in tune to the Giants and I’d comment on them a lot more. Same if I lived in NYC. I’m a fan of the game, plain and simple.

As for this, the reason I keep bringing attention to the Pineda deal is that I always find it irritating when the meme is started that a given team is ‘just a farm system for the Yankees’. Its ridiculous, its insulting and its incredibly egotistic. I *LIKE* watching King Felix here, hearing Yanks fans go on about how he’s inevitably getting traded to NYC is irritating. So when that bandwagon started up again about Pineda, I figured this was a good chance to pin it to them. I have read enough about the guy, enough about his throwing motion, and enough about his minor league record to see that he’s a potential Adam Wainwright: Good guy who due to his unwillingness to learn a new motion, will end up on the DL. Repeatedly.

As for long term conclusions: I made my claims about Pineda when the deal was made last year. I am not drawing conclusions from spring training, I’m drawing conclusions from everything I learned about the guy last year. That he’s already showing signs of problems is somewhat of a suprise, I figured his ERA would be in the mid-4’s this year, and his breakdown would be next year or the year after. It may come sooner, judging by his lost velocity. I also know that the guy dosen’t stay in shape, and has gotten by on raw talent so far, which does not bode well for a long career.

• uyf1950 - Mar 30, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Reflex, you proved my point with your most recent comment. I said “…you very seldom ever post on anything other then the Mariners….” And your rebuttal to that is and I quote “…Got into it with chrisny about the Mets just a couple weeks ago…” Well good for you. I think that reply of yours pretty much confirms what I said. Like I said have a nice evening.

• Reflex - Mar 30, 2012 at 9:39 PM

I guess that depends on your views on how frequently someone must post in order to be posting, well, frequently. I post when I am bored and have nothing to do. Thats not often anymore. Prior to May of last year I posted virtually daily. But then I accepted a new job, and can’t really spend my time living on this blog as much as I’d like to. But I post when something catches my eye, or when a topic I’ve got strong opinions comes up.

I read your comment to read that I post pretty much only on the Mariners, which isn’t even close to true. Given how little they are even mentioned here, it would be tough to post only about them. And most of the posts about them are things I don’t pay attention to. If I had to guess, I’d say maybe one in ten of my posts have anything to do with the M’s.

• uyf1950 - Mar 30, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Reflex, do yourself a favor and in that little box on the right a couple of inches down from the top that says SEARCH. Type in Seattle Mariners and see for yourself just how many articles there have been here that talk about the Mariners in one way or another. Have a nice evening. I’m done here for the night.

• Reflex - Mar 30, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Um, what point are you trying to make here?

• Kevin S. - Mar 30, 2012 at 9:15 PM

You mean when he parlayed the Yanks’ offer into a package involving an inferior headliner and a rapist?

Just checking.

• Reflex - Mar 30, 2012 at 9:17 PM

I’d still take Smoak over Montero. And back then the consensus was that Smoak was the better prospect.

• Kevin S. - Mar 30, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Wrong. Heading into 2010 Keith Law had them 9/10, but Baseball America had Montero #4 to Smoak’s #13, Kevin Goldstein had Montero #4 to Smoak’s #17, and while I’m having trouble finding an ordinal ranking from John Sickels, he had Montero as an A prospect and Smoak as an A-. They all ranked Montero higher despite the fact that not one of them felt Montero would catch. Montero hit as well or better than Smoak at every level of the minors, despite going through those levels 2-3 years younger. So, no, the consensus was not that Smoak was the better prospect, and if you’d rather take the inferior player… hey, that’s your prerogative. He’s got the better glove, I guess.

• Reflex - Mar 30, 2012 at 9:55 PM

I could be incorrect, but at the opening of the season I remember Smoak being the top ranked hitter in the minors, with Montero being second. Given Smoak can play a position, and Montero is not considered a defensive asset, that seemed to clearly move the prospect status in favor of Smoak. Furthermore, at the time, Smoak is what the M’s needed, rather than Montero.

That said, in two seasons he got both of them, so clearly Jack liked both potential deals. Smoak, however, was already major league ready, and has already paid dividends even if he’s not a star yet.

Considering what he gave up, I think Jack did extremely well in both deals. Lee wasn’t going to be a long term solution for the M’s. And Pineda, well, we are witnessing the mistake that deal was right now.

• Reflex - Mar 30, 2012 at 10:02 PM

You are cherry picking. Yes some rankings put Smoak higher, but I just went back and looked.

2009 –

Smoak: 15
        Montero: 83

2010 –

Smoak: 9
        Montero: 10

2011 –

Smoak: Majors
        Montero: 9

I do not think Jack made a bad deal. In both cases he took the superior prospect, even if it was close. Smoak also had the better track record, and can play a position. In the end he got both of them, which speaks highly of their value. But Montero was never a consensus better talent than Smoak, not then, and probably not even now.

Given they now play in the same park for the same team, it’ll be interesting to compare them over the next few years.

• Reflex - Mar 30, 2012 at 10:04 PM

I just did some checking on that. I don’t know all the various prospect ranking systems, but Keith Law is the one I read every single year. He *never* had Montero ahead of Smoak, and in fact up until 2010 Smoak was *way* ahead of Montero(in 2009 Smoak was #15, Montero #83). Given Smoak is a plus defender, I think Jack made the better deal.

Going forward it will be interesting to see who does better, given they are now both on the same team, in the same park in the same lineup. Both are fantastic prospects, but given the chance to do it again I’m certain Jack would have preffered them in the same order.

• Reflex - Mar 30, 2012 at 10:05 PM

If this posts like three replies its due to WordPress:

• paperlions - Mar 31, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Quit using facts to argue, that’s unfair.

• Kevin S. - Mar 31, 2012 at 12:25 PM

You can’t just look at one guy and call that a consensus. Law is my primary prospects guy too, but I at least looked at all the major prospect raters (also known as the opposite of cherry picking). And you said “at the time,” so I’m not sure how relevant 2009 ratings are. Montero was rated higher going into 2010 and was tearing up AAA while Smoak scuffled along in the majors. Smoak was three years older. If he was more major-league ready, it was by three months at the most. On a team that wasn’t still trying to work him at catcher and didn’t have him blocked at 1B/DH (i.e. Seattle circa July 2010), Montero would have come up right away.

3. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Mar 30, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Sending him down might now be the worst thing in the world, but I have a tough time believing that this team has a solid plan for what to do with him once he goes down there. Please don’t botch this kid!!

4. chaseutley - Mar 30, 2012 at 8:49 PM

In fairness to Pineda, the Phillies are pretty awesome. ;)

• phillyphreak - Mar 30, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Go ice your knees.

• phillyphreak - Mar 30, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Although I suppose you could ice your knees while commenting….carry on!

5. crisisofinfinitephils - Mar 30, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Wait a minute. Your telling me there’s a possibility that the Yankee brass, including Cashman, overvalued a pitcher? Get out….

6. deathmonkey41 - Mar 30, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Geez- it’s his second season and he’s only like 23. I can’t believe people are looking to write him off already. If he needs to go to the minors to work things out, then so be it.

• phillyphreak - Mar 30, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Agreed

• ssazz - Mar 30, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Exactly. Tonight he was particularly off, but had been looking better the last few starts. He has a nasty major-league slider, the change-up has come a long way just this spring, and the fastball though down is still low 90’s, on occasion 94, he can be very successful with just that if he never gets back to 97.

He did show up out of shape, he did look bad tonight, he needs some work, so I think he’s definitely going down to the minors now. And I think that’s good. This is his team, his organization for years to come, he’s got to get his act together.

The Yankees will get him straightened out. Go down and pitch with, what will be a pretty stellar AAA staff, and guys he’s gonna be fighting for a spot in future Yankee rotations with anyway. And then they can audition Garcia to trade before Pettitte comes back, and see if a spot opens up for Pineda some other way in the meantime. But a month or two down on the farm might be the best thing for him.

And btw, Montero was going to have a limited role the next few seasons anyway because they weren’t going to make him their full time catcher, and DH AB’s will be more and more occupied by the veteran old timers on the Yankees. Pineda I think is gonna be very good still, and Jose Campos is a live arm in his own right. The verdict is far from in for Cashman on this deal.

• paperlions - Mar 31, 2012 at 10:50 AM

If the Yankees planned (and plan) to give DH ABs to old timers instead of using the best available hitter (which would have been Montero)….that is stupid.

• djpostl - Mar 31, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Paperlions, the issue wasn’t this year…it was the next five years. GMs aren’t allowed to only view things through the short-sighted prism.

DH is a filled spot for a while. It wil belong to Arod because he is breaking down and you have a long-term commitment. 1B is Tex’s, for better or worse. Clearly the Yanks did not see Montero as a long-term catching option.

There was no spot for him beyond this year and hell, lets be honest, Arod might end up being primary DH by the end of the year if Nunez doesn’t repeat his Nun-E5/6-z performance of last year or Chavez stays healthy enough to man 3B most of the time.

His value was at it’s peak and there is a reason why everyone other than delusional Yankees fans raved about this deal being a win – win because it met both teams needs with young, talented, controlled players.

Injuries cna and do occur to everyone at some point, as long as Pineda can get healthy and find his way into the rotation in the next couple of years it’s a winner for the Yanks. They have tons of pitching depth so they can afford to not rush him, despite the many morons who will will be clamoring as if that is somehow evidence they made a bad move.

• paperlions - Mar 31, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Yes, I know…none of which changes the facts. If ARod can’t hit anymore, giving him ABs at DH when you have a better option (I wasn’t referring to specifically to Montero) is stupid.

If you have a guy signed to a bad contract, and he is not your best option at a position, playing him is worse than cutting him. You are paying him anyway…if you play him and cost your team games…you paying for your mistake twice (then again, those are two separate mistakes).

• hammyofdoom - Mar 30, 2012 at 10:06 PM

As much as I’d absolutely love for the Yankees to have one or two less arms than they do now and I’m kinda digging this whole situation, I don’t think theres a way in HELL Pineda is a bust at this point. Seriously, dude is 23, theres gonna be growing pains

• jimbo1949 - Mar 30, 2012 at 10:13 PM

speaking of pains, MRI in the AM.

• djpostl - Mar 31, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Amen. Montero has a whoppin 70 ABs and they already are willing to hand him an MVP but Pineda has a physical ailment and they want to toss him on the scrap heap.

Since we are overvaluing what guys did this spring, what a bust that Montero is. Hitting 80 points lower than Eduardo Nunez.

7. churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Mar 30, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Great, I avoid espnNY and the NY rags because of crap like this, and now I get to read it here too.

8. mybrunoblog - Mar 30, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Pineda will be in rotation to start season and Garcia in bullpen. Obviously this could change after a few starts but Garcia is better suited to bullpen for now.

9. phillyphreak - Mar 30, 2012 at 9:36 PM

At the risk of being really lazy tonight, is the velocity still an issue? I saw on twitter that he was hitting 93/94 tonight…..anyone see?

• ThisIsBaseball - Mar 30, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Yeah. Looked like he was sitting around 91, but I think I saw 93-94 on the YES gun a couple times.

• phillyphreak - Mar 30, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Cool thanks.

• Reflex - Mar 30, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Last year he was averaging almost 95mph. And topping out at 98/99mph. Now he’s averaging 91 and topping out at 93/94. So yes, the loss of velocity is still an issue.

• phillyphreak - Mar 30, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Yea. But Dave Cameron showed that last year particularly in the second half of the season Pineda started around 90-91 then ramped up as the game went on.

• Reflex - Mar 30, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Last spring he was throwing at that velocity the whole time. Further, he hasn’t shown much progress this spring to imply there is more in the tank.

Plus he just reported shoulder pain.

• phillyphreak - Mar 30, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Yea but that’s last spring. I think it’s fair enough to say that the second half of last season is a better judge of his velocity than last spring.

• phillyphreak - Mar 30, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Yea but I would say that the second half of last year is more relevant than last spring.

• phillyphreak - Mar 31, 2012 at 8:25 AM

I would think that the second half of last season is a better indicator than last spring. But now with this whole shoulder soreness issue, it’s a little worrisome. Though his career and this trade can’t be judged at all yet.

• djpostl - Mar 31, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Last spring is irrelevant because all the scouts said he made the adjustment mid-season where he didn’t come out blazing early, he had fatigue issues around 4th or 5th inning so changed his approach.

The big thing to take away from that fact is pretty easy to figure out: He is a work in progress, still learning his craft (and even his own body and how it reacts to starts).

10. ThisIsBaseball - Mar 30, 2012 at 9:37 PM

They just said on YES that Pineda just reported pain in his throwing shoulder after being pulled from the game. He felt it before the game but didn’t say anything.

• Reflex - Mar 30, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Added some linkage for you.

11. ssazz - Mar 30, 2012 at 10:13 PM

“You can never have too much starting pitching” = Always true. Luckily the Yankees are deep there.

Pineda was a guy last spring who hadn’t just thrown 170 major league innings for the first time, and who was trying to impress to make the big league club a year ago for the first time. After just turning 23 this is his next hurdle, and it’s been a rocky spring for the guy, but he’s also looked really good at times. He can pitch. Mariner fans online seem a bit fixated on this trade and the need for it to be judged as already decided on March 30th. As though there is simply no way Pineda and the Yankees can get him straightened out ever. Or that with his slider, and a good change up, 92-94 wouldn’t be good enough.

12. ssazz - Mar 30, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Oh and Matthew, for what it’s worth, as far as the boo-birds go tonight I’m sure there were a number of them in there, but I also think there were a fair amount of Phillie fans giving a loud “Ruuuuuuuuuiz” for Carlos Ruiz who hit the double that ended Pineda’s night at the same time.[/meaningless observation]

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Mar 30, 2012 at 11:00 PM

I think Philly fans call him “Choooooooooch” (for reasons unknown to me) but your point still stands.

• ssazz - Mar 30, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Ah, ok that’s what they were calling out.

13. hammyofdoom - Mar 30, 2012 at 10:44 PM

I really hope this guy isnt hurt, the whole “I was sore but tried to pitch through it” has doomed a guy or two before

14. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Mar 30, 2012 at 11:01 PM

[insert standard “Starting Pitching Log Jam Works Itself Out” language here]

15. cackalackyank - Mar 30, 2012 at 11:35 PM

I had posted this on a previous Pineda story before the MRI talk, I feel it still holds true. At any rate a guy this young you have to hope he has not done serious damage.
    Instead of looking at it from the point of ‘what the beat writers will say if Pineda starts the year at AAA’….lets look at it this way….what if Pineda comes north right away…..and then get shelled in his first couple of outings at Yankee Stadium or in an AL East opponents park on the road. Then it won’t just be the beat writers involved, it will be the fans too. (Anyone remember Ed Whitson?) Why run the risk of turning this guy into a disaster. If the organization has watched and identified some areas for developement or refinement let it be resolved at the AAA level, not in ‘the crucible’ of the AL east which figures to be pretty darn intense.

16. muir6 - Mar 31, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Poor Philly and Boston fans hanging on every Yankee thread. We drink your Shake

17. fezzy1 - Mar 31, 2012 at 2:40 AM

If this is Kevin S from Seattle, don’t do business with this guy. He writes checks his ass can’t cash.

• phillyphreak - Mar 31, 2012 at 9:14 AM

I usually use a bank to cash checks….

18. fezzy1 - Mar 31, 2012 at 2:45 AM

Kevin S from Seattle? You owe money to people. Pay up dude.

• phillyphreak - Mar 31, 2012 at 8:23 AM

Bill collectors frequent HBT now? Nice.

• Kevin S. - Mar 31, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Never been west of the Rockies personally, but even if I was from Seattle, I’d wager I wouldn’t be the only Kevin S.

• paperlions - Mar 31, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Wait. Are you suggesting that the combination of the given name “Keven” and a surname beginning with “S” might not be unique, and in fact may even be common place? I’m shocked…SHOCKED!

Reminds me of meeting someone, them finding out I’m from StL and them saying, “Hey, I new a guy from StL….Bob, I think…..do you know him?” Sure….”Bob, I think” and I went to school together.

19. psousa1 - Mar 31, 2012 at 5:50 AM

Everyone needs pitching right? There is a reason Seattle did not have an issue giving him up.

• Kevin S. - Mar 31, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Couldn’t have anything to do with the fact that Seattle has a historically-bad offense and Montero is the rare righty with oppo power that won’t get swallowed by Safeco, could it? Nah, more fun to pretend Jack Z. was peddling damaged goods.

• paperlions - Mar 31, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Plus, Seattle’s top prospects are all pitchers and many aren’t too far from the majors.

20. djpostl - Mar 31, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Before that game Pineda’s ERA was 3.30, yet Nova’s was 6.86. But it’s Pineda who is described as “struggling” in spring?

Yes, stats aren’t the whole story in spring, but Nova has looked as bad as his numbers. Even his last start where he got tons of praise his pitches were elevated and his location was off, causing him to yield 3 runs in what barely qualified as a quality start.

If Pineda had pitched to his previous level in the spring it would have been a shame for him to lose a rotation spot solely because he wasn’t bring 97 mph gas, which is the main reason this whole “struggling” thing has been tossed around.

21. dubitodd123 - Mar 31, 2012 at 11:03 AM

He will be fine he is still one of the best young arms in the league he was a beast last year

22. drewzducks - Mar 31, 2012 at 11:37 AM

No worries Yankee fans they’ll have Pettite ready soon enough once McNamee gets him in shape.

23. squab12 - Mar 31, 2012 at 2:12 PM

the Mariners just look like they pulled off the heist of the off-season.

24. spudchukar - Mar 31, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Hey, Reflex, just so you know I pay little or no attention to your comments, and to suggest UFY or others aren’t diligent by following your every word reeks of self-centered blithering.

Plus as to the historically offensively inept Mariners, Kevin S., Misters Griffey, A-Rod, Martinez, and Buhner et al might tend to differ.

• Kevin S. - Mar 31, 2012 at 6:29 PM

You misunderstood me, spuds. I meant that the Mariners offense in the previous two years (much of which they still employ) has been historically awful, not that the Marners’ offense has historically been awful. I apologize for any lack of clarity in my post.

• spudchukar - Mar 31, 2012 at 6:52 PM

OK, got it.

• Reflex - Mar 31, 2012 at 10:30 PM

UFY made some sort of odd implication about me posting only on Mariner’s topics while claiming not to be a fan. My reply was basically to the effect that I post on several topics, when I have time, and that I’m not a M’s fan but I happen to live in Seattle. That wasn’t saying he should be following my every word or post, only to state that if he’s going to imply that he should, you know, actually check the topics I tend to post on.

Pineda has my attention not because he’s a former M, but because he’s an inverted W pitcher, which is a topic I post about a lot(and likely why you tend to avoid my posts since your team relies on pitchers with this mechanic).

I’ve never had a problem with your post, aside from the obvious homerism. But its nowhere near the Phils homerism, so carry on. ;)

25. retief1954 - Apr 4, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Figures that clueless, childish, “I want it NOW” NYY fans would boo the kid before the season even starts. You people are DONE. No WS for you this year AGAIN, which means…. oh no Papa Steinbrenner! Another season of COMPLETE FAILURE! As always it will be a supreme baseball pleasure to see NYY come up short once again. Oh, their playoff ticket will be there, all bought and paid for like usual. But look at their team… it’s starting to look like EVERY day is Old-Timers’ Day at the Stadium.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester