Mar 30, 2012, 4:16 PM EST
Zachary Levine of the Houston Chronicle reports that an MRI exam revealed no ligament damage, so the original diagnosis of a sprained right thumb will stick.
Lowrie is considered day-to-day for now and hasn’t been ruled out for the season opener, calling it “about the best news I could have gotten.”
If healthy he’ll be the Opening Day shortstop.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 48
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 38
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 57
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 47
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)