Prosecutors drop Manny Ramirez’s domestic violence case because his wife “was uncooperative”

Mar 30, 2012, 12:16 PM EDT

Manny Ramirez, Juliana Ramirez AP

Manny Ramirez was arrested and charged with misdemeanor battery for allegedly slapping his wife in September, but TMZ reports that Florida prosecutors have dropped the case.

Asked why, a representative for the State Attorney’s Office told TMZ: “The state dropped the charge because the victim was uncooperative. She successfully avoided being served with a state subpoena and is believed to be out of state.”

“She” is Ramirez’s wife, Juliana Ramirez, who made a public appearance and was photographed alongside Manny and the couple’s children early in A’s camp.

In her initial call to police on September 12 she alleged that Ramirez slapped her in the face and the police report confirmed that she had marks consistent with that story. Ramirez later claimed that he was grabbing her by the shoulders during an argument when her head hit the headboard of their bed.

1. rawstalk - Mar 30, 2012 at 12:20 PM

At first, I interpreted the headline as “the case was dropped because she was uncooperative and, therefore, deserved to be slapped”.

• Ben - Mar 30, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Yeah, because domestic violence is hilarious. Asshole.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Mar 30, 2012 at 1:48 PM

I don’t think he meant any funny jokes at domestic abuse. But I also wouldn’t have made much light about this, either.

Shake hands, gentlemen.

• aceshigh11 - Mar 30, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Sorry, I was going to post almost exactly the same thing.

I HATE domestic abuse, but I have a twisted sense of humor.

• rawstalk - Mar 30, 2012 at 8:36 PM

No, of course domestic abuse itself is not funny. That is just how the headline struck me when I first read it. Which would have been weird as hell and completely inappropriate. But I don’t think that me pointing out that I read it that way is inappropriate, nor does it make me an asshole.

• stex52 - Mar 31, 2012 at 10:38 PM

I read rawstalk’s comment the way he says below. I also happen to think a man who would beat his spouse is a low life who deserves some time in jail or with very serious counseling. But I think you jumped a little fast, here. He was just commenting on the wording.

2. Jonny 5 - Mar 30, 2012 at 12:39 PM

She’s such a knock out. No pun intended. Manny’s life is wayyy better than he deserves.

• 1972wasalongtimeago - Mar 30, 2012 at 4:59 PM

tru dat

3. detroitcityryda - Apr 1, 2012 at 3:20 AM

Shes a knockout no pun it ended , oh somebody posted that all ready ? Oh ok my bad , domestic abuse is very bad unless you’re the one batting ,I have down syndrome oh somebody posted that all ready ?I’ll stop now or will I ?

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5582)