Rays place Matt Bush on restricted list

Mar 30, 2012, 3:45 PM EDT

Matt Bush mugshot

Earlier this week Rays executive vice president Andrew Friedman promised that Matt Bush would never play for the organization again following his latest arrest and today the former No. 1 overall pick was placed on the restricted list.

For now that means he remains Rays property, but is no longer on the 40-man roster.

Presumably the Rays still believe they can get something in return for Bush, because if they weren’t going to trade him and have ruled out ever using him then why not just release him already?

Meanwhile, the 72-year-old motorcyclist Bush struck with his SUV last week remains hospitalized in a medically induced coma and is said to be “completely unresponsive.”

1. kopy - Mar 30, 2012 at 4:05 PM

One would think that whatever marginal return they could get for trading his rights isn’t worth having the press repeatedly refer to him as a member of the Tampa Bay Rays.

• ajcardsfan - Mar 30, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Is it odd I know of two Matt Bush’s and they’re both felons?

2. henryd3rd - Mar 30, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Am I missing something or what? The victim is in a medically induced coma and there is no timetable for his recovery; so why are we discussing Matt Bush baseball career? What about the victim who’s head he ran over with his car while he was driving drunk?

• okobojicat - Mar 30, 2012 at 4:31 PM

We are discussion Bush’s baseball career because this is a baseball blog. Not a blog about terrible outcomes when people drive drunk.

I’m guessing that they haven’t flat out released him is that there is some language in the contract/CBA that says you can’t just release a guy immediately after a legal incident.

I have no doubt he’ll never play for the Rays.

3. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Mar 30, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Any human being in Bush’s position, I would hope, feels extremely remorseful and he must abhor himself more than all of us combined. This may haunt him for the rest of his life, and I can only hope he chooses a sober life from this point on.

That said, I can’t feel bad for Bush. At all. I am hoping very, very strongly that the gentleman he nearly killed makes a solid recovery.

Alcohol is a huge problem in this country – in this world – and as we’ve seen in recent times, this certainly includes MLB. Lowe, Cabrera, Jenks – even the damn President of the Pirates. It’s even killed players like Nick Adenhart.

MLB needs to step up, take care of its own, and really work on boosting their drug and alcohol issues with their players, so that no MLB employee ever does something so reckless ever again.

• brewcrewfan54 - Mar 30, 2012 at 6:16 PM

It isn’t up to MLB although I’m pretty sure they have programs set up to help those who need it. Its up to the players and their personal responsability to not do things that they shouldnt be doing.

• hittfamily - Mar 30, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Josh Hamilton’s situation was very similiar to Bush’s. Both have had a very difficult battle with addictons. Josh Hamilton has slipped up (and I believe he doesn’t only slip up in public bars), He didn’t ever almost kill someone, but he has done some awful things while being high or intoxicated. I feel bad for Josh Hamilton.

I feel bad for Matt Bush. People don’t choose alcoholism. The guy has been to rehab, and it didn’t work. I feel empathy for this human being, who fought a battle he could not win.

4. bigharold - Mar 30, 2012 at 6:23 PM

“…so that no MLB employee ever does something so reckless ever again.”

While I understand what you are getting at it is wishful thinking if not down right impossible. As long as humans are involved they will do reckless, stupid and careless things because we all do from time to time. it’s part of being human.

It may well seem like there have been more issues like this in MLB lately I would wager that is the direct result of there being less tolerance for drinking and driving in society in general. And, that is a good thing. I think to a large degree there has always been issues with ball players going out a partying too much and causing trouble but it was kept quite in the past. Now, it merely gets reported more frequently.

MLB would be better served doing a better job of as you say; “take care of its own, and really work on boosting their drug and alcohol issues with their players.”. But that is only half of it, the preventive side. They should also provide a mechanisms whereby if a player goes and gets carried away he can easily get a ride home, .. paid for by the players union so that there is little or no risk of being admonished by the team which would reduce the likelihood of a player availing themselves of the service. If there is no direct cost to the player and little likelihood of the team finding out then there is little or no excuse not to use the system when need be. Sure that would seem to be treating grown ups like children but isn’t that how MLB functions now anyway? Some will never need the hand holding so it would seem condescending and wasteful. Some will always need it and sooner or later they’ll do something that will cause them to crash and burn. So a program like this would have little value because it’ll just be a matter of time. It’s the ones that are in the middle, .. the ones that don’t normally do these thing, .. the ones that are out of their element due to an unusual set of circumstance are the ones that will benefit the most, .. these players and the people that the don’t run over.

At the end of the day players are people and they will make poor decisions occasionally. So, MLB and the union should work towards doing whatever they can to avoid these situations. The resources are there and whether you agree or not the environment that the players mature in where they are treated differently, better with more access and less accountability is part of the problem.

• Kevin S. - Mar 30, 2012 at 8:17 PM

I know every NFL team has car service available for its players, and I’m fairly certain most, if not all MLB teams do as well. Sometimes people are just going to be reckless even when they have options available to them.

• bbil2012 - Mar 31, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Alcoholism is a progressive disease.
        When an alcoholic is at the stage I believe Matt Bush is (including past legal issues and behavior), that person will try to hide their drinking.
        He’s not calling any ride service.
        Alcoholic thinking is totally irrational.And very dangerous.

5. sdfanboy - Mar 30, 2012 at 10:55 PM

This kid will never learn. I played with him in High School and he was an idiot then. I hope he figures life out… Forget baseball

• patg1041 - Mar 31, 2012 at 1:12 PM

I kind of doubt he’s going to figure anything out from a prison cell. On draft day he probably didn’t see his life turning out like this. I’d feel bad for him, but then again, he’s very much earned whatever prison term will be coming his way.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet