Mar 30, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Most of the updates about Carl Crawford‘s recovery from wrist surgery have involved setbacks or delays this spring, and now Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe writes: “Don’t expect Crawford to join the Red Sox before May.”
That’s not an official timetable, at least not yet, but according to Abraham he’s yet to take batting practice and will stay behind in extended spring training once the season begins.
Bobby Valentine has said previously that Crawford will need “50 at-bats somewhere” before potentially being cleared to rejoin the Red Sox, which means he’ll be several weeks away from returning after he resumes game action. And he’s not close to that yet.
Initially when Crawford underwent surgery in January the hope was that he’d miss just 2-3 weeks of the regular season, but at this point even early May seems optimistic. Ryan Sweeney and Cody Ross will be Boston’s starting corner outfielders for at least a month.
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 10
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 68
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 25
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 30
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (107)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (106)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)