Red Sox expect Carl Crawford to miss all of April

Mar 30, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT

Carl Crawford AP

Most of the updates about Carl Crawford‘s recovery from wrist surgery have involved setbacks or delays this spring, and now Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe writes: “Don’t expect Crawford to join the Red Sox before May.”

That’s not an official timetable, at least not yet, but according to Abraham he’s yet to take batting practice and will stay behind in extended spring training once the season begins.

Bobby Valentine has said previously that Crawford will need “50 at-bats somewhere” before potentially being cleared to rejoin the Red Sox, which means he’ll be several weeks away from returning after he resumes game action. And he’s not close to that yet.

Initially when Crawford underwent surgery in January the hope was that he’d miss just 2-3 weeks of the regular season, but at this point even early May seems optimistic. Ryan Sweeney and Cody Ross will be Boston’s starting corner outfielders for at least a month.

1. mybrunoblog - Mar 30, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Based on Carl crawfords 2011 results this may be good news for red sox

2. hittfamily - Mar 30, 2012 at 10:56 AM

CC is going to miss a month, the same as last year. I”m ringing my cowbell, got my “fortune favors the bald” shirt on, and rubbing on my lucky Zimbear hoping the rest of the Sox mimic last year too.

Let’s get this damn season going already!

3. Jack Marshall - Mar 30, 2012 at 11:01 AM

What a great off-season Theo had in his last with the Sox! Crawford, Jenks, Wheeler, mega-millions out the door for a decade plus a young slugger who shrugs off defeat by saying that it’s God’s will, and all cool.

2004 and 2007 will keep Epstein on the good side of the Sox ledger forever, but he sure racked up the deficits as he ran out the string.

• crispybasil - Mar 30, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Crawford, Jenks, Wheeler…all stinkers. But it’s a bit of a stretch to ignore Adrian Gonzalez’s actual on-field performance and rather reasonable contract extension when evaluating him as a player.

• Jack Marshall - Mar 30, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Hey, I think A-Gon’s a great player. But the “what will be, will be” attitude is annoying and a cop-out in a pro athlete, and I’m sure it will drive me crazy before he’s done. Give me Youk or Pedroia’s intensity any day.

• hittfamily - Mar 30, 2012 at 11:28 AM

You forgot letting Beltre go too. Lackey the year before, and Daisuke the year before that weren’t resume builders either.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Mar 30, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Been parroting this every time someone bashes Cashman. You win some trades, you lose some, same with free agency. Show me a GM who has a 100% success rate, and I’ll show you someone who hasn’t been at their job long enough.

• hittfamily - Mar 30, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Jon Daniels has been doing it for 7 years now, and I can’t think of many blunders that he made. Tex for Harrison, Andrus, Saltalamaccia, and Feliz was a fleecing. Napoli was a fleecing. Hamilton for Volquez was a fleecing. Justin Smoak sucks, so trading that “top prospect” for Cliff Lee was a fleecing. Gagne to the Sox for David Murphy was a great trade. Beltre is a good signing. Vlad Guerrero was a great signing, and then a great no-resign. Gagne to the Sox for David Murphy was a great trade.

Not firing his manager after a coke incident was pretty smart.
        Rich Harden is his only mistake that I can think of (until Joe Nathan), but Harden was only a 1 year deal.

I’m not a Rangers fan, but I have always trusted Daniels when he makes a move, and I can’t think of a major blunder he has made. He and Theo had the job for roughly the same time, but Daniels passed on Edgar Renteria, Matt Clement, Julio Lugo, Daisuke, Lackey, Jenks, Crawford, Cameron …..

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Mar 30, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Good call on Daniels, he’s one you rarely hear in the stupid “ninja/savior” business. However, I’d quibble on the Cliff Lee deal. They traded a prospect who may turn out to be good for a rental and weren’t able to keep Lee.

I wouldn’t say it was a win, but maybe a push?

• hittfamily - Mar 30, 2012 at 8:18 PM

It got them to the world series, for a below average first baseman. I’d bet if he had it to do over again, he’d do it the same.

4. crispybasil - Mar 30, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Compared to the production the Red Sox got from left and right field last year, Ross and Sweeney could be considered upgrades. At this point, I’d rather see Crawford get healthy in the semi-vain hope that he can hit .275 with 10 homers. You know, earn that $15 million.

• petey1999 - Mar 30, 2012 at 1:10 PM

I agree…Ross and Sweeney can’t be much worse than Crawford and Drew were last year.

• bigharold - Mar 30, 2012 at 3:46 PM

“You know, earn that $15 million.”

It actually nearly 21 mil but who’s counting?

Actually, if the RS don’t let him get that wrist 100% they’ll be sorry because it’s the type of injury that could linger for the entire season. If it takes until May then let it be May or another 250ish year is a very real possibility.

The RS faithful might as well forget what Crawford is making because even if he came to the RS and put up career representative numbers he isn’t worth what they are paying him. He’s a impact player he isn’t nor was he ever a dominant player. Espstein over paid, .. pure and simple. But, if the RS fail to hold him back until he’s healed he won’t even get to career representative numbers.

5. schlemealsschlimazel - Mar 30, 2012 at 11:57 AM

This was the worst pickup since Carl Pavano was in high school.

6. 24missed - Mar 30, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Carl Crawford will put up Carl Crawford numbers when he comes back from the DL.

One year into his contract. One year with all that went on last year and he’s written off as a bust. C’mon. Carl Crawford is awesome. He will hit the ball, make defensive plays and steal bases.

Leave the guy alone and let him do his thang.

• cur68 - Mar 30, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Agree. And not just because. . . you know. Anyhow, the chances are VERY good that you are right. This guy is a legitimately good baseball player. He’ll bounce back once he heals up, and put that aberrant season behind him. When Crawford does make it back, watch for the Sox to surge. Unless they play the Lords Of Beaver Town. Then they shall be annihilated. Otherwise, I see them passing the Yankees this season.

• 24missed - Apr 2, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Thanks for the confirmation of my assessment of Carl Crawford. Cur, you are the real deal. Giving props to the Sox in only the way a true fan or a HBT manfriend can, you made me feel all tingly inside. And the Yankees comment, that is pure foreplay not taken lightly.

I’ll try to ignore your Dungeons and Dragons pseudo-reference to your beavers. The Lords of Beaver Town? Are you serious with that one? Is it the 40 man roster that command all of the beavers? If I moved to Canada, would I have to register my beaver there?

• cur68 - Apr 2, 2012 at 10:17 PM

No need to register anything. You may have to declare stuff at the border but, if its been stuffed by a reputable taxidermist, you’re free to bring your beaver with you:

The Blue Jay 4 man roster is indeed in command of all beaverdom. Hail Beaverdom.

7. buffalomafia - Mar 30, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Overrated, overpaid! Lets go Yankess!

8. pisano - Mar 31, 2012 at 12:43 AM

They (Red Sox) won’t know he’s not in the line-up, how much can you miss a .255 BA?

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2482)