Mar 30, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
Late last night several reports had Bobby Abreu all but traded to the Indians, but this morning a deal seemed far less certain and now Abreu is actually in the Angels’ lineup for this afternoon’s game.
That may not mean anything in terms of him eventually being traded, as removing a player from a spring training game is easy enough and perhaps the Indians wanted to get one last look at him or something, but obviously the deal either wasn’t as close to being finalized as initially believed or something has changed to hold it up.
Whatever the case, Abreu is batting sixth and playing left field against the Diamondbacks and his $9 million salary remains on the Angels’ books … for now.
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 15
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 33
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 15
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 83
- Reds beat Pirates behind Johnny Cueto, hand National League Central title to St. Louis 20
- Video: Steven Souza Jr. makes sensational catch to secure Jordan Zimmermann’s no-no 24
- David Price dominates Twins as Tigers win AL Central 30
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)
- Bud Selig says A-Rod will “have a clean slate” once his suspension is over (78)