Mar 30, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
Late last night several reports had Bobby Abreu all but traded to the Indians, but this morning a deal seemed far less certain and now Abreu is actually in the Angels’ lineup for this afternoon’s game.
That may not mean anything in terms of him eventually being traded, as removing a player from a spring training game is easy enough and perhaps the Indians wanted to get one last look at him or something, but obviously the deal either wasn’t as close to being finalized as initially believed or something has changed to hold it up.
Whatever the case, Abreu is batting sixth and playing left field against the Diamondbacks and his $9 million salary remains on the Angels’ books … for now.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (90)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (89)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (84)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (82)