Mar 30, 2012, 11:19 AM EST
Late last night several reports had Bobby Abreu all but traded to the Indians, but this morning a deal seemed far less certain and now Abreu is actually in the Angels’ lineup for this afternoon’s game.
That may not mean anything in terms of him eventually being traded, as removing a player from a spring training game is easy enough and perhaps the Indians wanted to get one last look at him or something, but obviously the deal either wasn’t as close to being finalized as initially believed or something has changed to hold it up.
Whatever the case, Abreu is batting sixth and playing left field against the Diamondbacks and his $9 million salary remains on the Angels’ books … for now.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 42
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (167)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)