Mar 30, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
Late last night several reports had Bobby Abreu all but traded to the Indians, but this morning a deal seemed far less certain and now Abreu is actually in the Angels’ lineup for this afternoon’s game.
That may not mean anything in terms of him eventually being traded, as removing a player from a spring training game is easy enough and perhaps the Indians wanted to get one last look at him or something, but obviously the deal either wasn’t as close to being finalized as initially believed or something has changed to hold it up.
Whatever the case, Abreu is batting sixth and playing left field against the Diamondbacks and his $9 million salary remains on the Angels’ books … for now.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)