Mar 30, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT
There has been an insane amount of attention paid to Michael Pineda this spring. First his weight, then his velocity. Now, if you can believe it, there are questions about whether he even makes the team:
To answer some questions: I think there is a better chance than not that Pineda is in rotation, but it is not certain yet.
— Andrew Marchand (@AndrewMarchand) March 30, 2012
That’s just insane to me. Not just because Pineda had a really nice rookie season last year which shows that he can get major league hitters out. And not just because he has been perfectly respectable this spring — he has struck out 16 batters in 16 and a third innings. But rather, because I can’t feature the Yankees wanting to deal with the talk radio and newspaper crap they’d get if the guy they traded for Jesus Montero starts in the minors.
Maybe they don’t care — the Yankees probably care way less about that stuff than a lot of teams — but starting Pineda in the minors seems like rash move.
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 6
- Cliff Lee exits start with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 11
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 46
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 133
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)