When chanting “Let’s go Blue Jays” is an insult

Mar 30, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT

Blue Jays logo

My hockey counterpart James O’Brien reminds us that the Blue Jays will never be the number one game in Toronto, but they certainly can serve as the basis of an insult:

If starting their 15th goalie of the post-lockout era wasn’t a strong enough sign that things are bad for the Toronto Maple Leafs, then Thursday’s humorous chant clinched it. During various points ina 7-1 drubbing by the Philadelphia Flyers, Buds fans sarcastically (and at times, quite loudly) chanted “Let’s go Blue Jays.”

While there are times when fans will promote local teams when times are good (usually when a given squad’s success is unusual), it’s often the comical barometer of especially bad times for a franchise.

Ouch.

1. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Mar 30, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Wow. I never like hearing when a team is going through that kind of trouble. I hope things improve.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Mar 30, 2012 at 4:53 PM

What’s with the thumbs down? I know we’re not all NFL fans here but you can still wish the teams well.

• foreverchipper10 - Mar 30, 2012 at 5:53 PM

This was chanted at an NHL game, not NFL.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Mar 30, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Bah!! I’ve been doing this all day – typos.

EDIT BUTTON!

Still, my point is the same. It’s a shame to hear about any team in that kind of embarrassing peril.

2. jaysfan64 - Mar 30, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Lawrie last night tweeted “You ready, Toronto?”…he has to know what they’re coming home to….

3. kets13 - Mar 30, 2012 at 3:15 PM

I think in this case it played both as an insult but also some love for our baseball team. Our city has watched once again as the leafs and raptors have delivered non-playoff seasons … But the city is genuinely excited for what we hope will be a great season for the blue jays. A solid preseason coupled with the extra wild card spot … Let’s go blue jays!!

• govtminion - Mar 30, 2012 at 3:21 PM

You should have heard the crowd… that wasn’t a happy chant.

4. 18thstreet - Mar 30, 2012 at 3:28 PM

How could Toronto — TORONTO! — be victimized by a bad hockey team. I don’t know enough about the history of the NHL to begin to answer that question, but it’s just about the worst thing in sports.

• deadeyedesign23 - Mar 30, 2012 at 5:30 PM

I know this would be like having a bad beer drinking team in Milwaukee. Actually the Canadian teams would probably be pretty good too.

• brewcrewfan54 - Mar 30, 2012 at 6:27 PM

I don’t know who you’ve been talking to but nobody in Milwaukee drinks.

I was almost able to write that without laughing.

5. Jonny 5 - Mar 30, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Considering most of the Flyers team last night were rookies because they’re resting guys for the playoff run, I’d say the Leafs had it coming. It was a sad thing to see sooo many goals scored by sooo many rookies. Well for Leafs fans anyway. Us Flyers fans were amused and this gives us hope they may be able to beat that Rangers team after all.

• kellyb9 - Mar 31, 2012 at 7:20 AM

They weren’t resting their guys. That IS the Flyers team this year. A lot of solid rookies, and to be completely honest, I wish the Phillies scouting was as good as the Flyers because they made a lot of savvy moves this year to pick up young talent… and they basically hit a grand slam on every single one of them.

6. charlutes - Mar 30, 2012 at 4:57 PM

I. Love. This.

LETS GO BLUE JAYS! CLAP CLAP JOEY BATS! LETS GO BLUE JAYS!

7. charlutes - Mar 30, 2012 at 5:02 PM

btw to me the Jays are the only pro sports team in Toronto. All hail Alex the great. the lawrie cometh.

8. randygnyc - Mar 30, 2012 at 5:16 PM

If you’re pinning you’re hopes on a team (blue jays), where the only measure of success will be individual stats, and you’re team has little chance of finishing above 4th in the division, you’re in trouble.

• phillychzstk2012 - Mar 30, 2012 at 9:35 PM

they’ll finish above the old and overpaid yanks

9. contraryguy - Mar 30, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Jays didn’t have much going in Dunedin today, but 22-5 over the whole spring? I’d cheer for that too; more to look forward to on the diamond than the ice. Sure it’s the AL East, but hope springs eternal.

10. legacybroken - Mar 30, 2012 at 6:05 PM

The province of Ontario’s teachers own the Leafs so its no surprise they suck like they have the last 45 years.

11. hushbrother - Mar 31, 2012 at 10:41 AM

The Maple Leafs are quietly one of the most cursed teams in all of sports. They haven’t been to a Stanley Cup final since 1967. While the Habs, Oilers and Flames have all won Cups For Canada, the Leafs just kind of suck year in and year out. Makes you wonder why they’re the “number one team in town.”

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (4933)