49-year-old Jamie Moyer makes the Rockies starting rotation

Mar 31, 2012, 8:44 AM EST

Jamie Moyer

Jamie Moyer has a history of defying the odds, so maybe we shouldn’t be surprised at this point, but Rockies’ manager Jim Tracy announced last night that the 49-year-old left-hander has won a spot in the team’s starting rotation. He’ll start the second game of the season on April 7 against the Astros.

Moyer, who is entering 25th major league season, posted an impressive 2.77 ERA and 11/3 K/BB ratio over 13 innings this spring. He will be the oldest pitcher to start a game since Satchel Paige at age 59 in 1965 and will also have the chance to become the oldest pitcher to win a major league game. Jack Quinn of the Brooklyn Dodgers previously won a game on September 13, 1932 at 49 years, 74 days old. Moyer is two months older than Quinn was at the time.

It’s impressive enough that Moyer won a rotation spot at the age of 49, but remember that he also missed all of last season recovering from Tommy John surgery. Kudos, Jamie. You are making us all look like slackers.

1. larrytsg - Mar 31, 2012 at 8:58 AM

My youth is still intact! As an old friend once said, you’re not old until there is not a single MLB player remaining that is older than you. With Maddux and Clemens retired and Julio Franco long gone, Moyer is my last hope. And he starts a game on my 48th birthday.

I have found the fountain of youth, and his name is Jamie Moyer!

• beavertonsteve - Mar 31, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Moyer started the first MLB game I got to see. I was 15 and it was just a few days after the Cubs played their first night game at Wrigley under the new lights. I can’t believe he’s still pitching.

• larryboodry - Mar 31, 2012 at 3:40 PM

If he was 52 I’d still be young!

2. tropboi11 - Mar 31, 2012 at 10:29 AM

The last time I watched this old fart play was against my Rays in the World Series, he had the widest strike zone every, a good ball length on each side of the plate and Matt Garza had the exact opposite, then as Moyer was relieved he tipped his hat to the umpire. So I hope its arm falls off

• JBerardi - Mar 31, 2012 at 4:20 PM

An inconsistant strike zone in an MLB game? The only way that could happen is through some sort of evil Seligian conspiracy to favor the Phillies over the Rays because of…. something.

• drunkenhooliganism - Mar 31, 2012 at 4:38 PM

He tips his hat to the home plate umpire as he leaves every game, even the ones that squeeze him.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 31, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Wow…showing some respect to an umpire is so horrible, isn’t it? Moyer is an all around good guy who deserves admiration. He is the increasingly rare type of pro ball player that I’d have no problem with my kid seeing as a role model. Wishing ill on a guy—especially a good one like Jamie Moyer—is really classy dontcha think?

• stex52 - Mar 31, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Seems to me you should be mad at either:
      1. The umpire for his strike zone or
      2. Garza for not adjusting his pitches or
      3. The catcher for not querying the ump on his calls. Good catchers can do that without showing the ump up, and it usually improves things.

The one person it doesn’t seem to me you should be mad at is Jamie Moyer. He found the ump’s zone and he used it. Happens to every starter every night.

Moyer’s a good guy. Cut him some slack.

3. shaggylocks - Mar 31, 2012 at 10:57 AM

“Moyer is two months than Quinn was at the time.”

You’re missing the key word in this sentence! Moyer is two months older? Two months younger? What?

4. Lukehart80 - Mar 31, 2012 at 11:40 AM

3 of the 4 other pitchers in the Rockies’ projected rotation weren’t even born yet when Moyer made his MLB debut.

5. gallaghedj311 - Mar 31, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Sour grapes much regarding his strike zone in the 08 WS? Hoping someone’s arm falls off isn’t very nice, u know…..

6. Old Gator - Mar 31, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Speak for yourself, DJ. I look like a slacker on my own terms – always have, always will.

• D.J. Short - Mar 31, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Ha. That’s fair. It’s nearly 1pm and I’m still wearing pajama pants, so I don’t have to try very hard to look like a slacker.

• cur68 - Mar 31, 2012 at 10:15 PM

I wore jammies all day today. Only difference with mine is I get to call them “scrubs”. Trust me, though: they’re pajamas.

7. aceshigh11 - Mar 31, 2012 at 6:09 PM

This is AWESOME. Best of luck to him…what a badass he is.

Would love to see him have a solid year and even pitch at 50.

8. cur68 - Mar 31, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Good luck this season, Mr. Moyer. Show the young punks how its done and make ‘em get off your lawn.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (3953)
  2. J. Kang (3390)
  3. J. Upton (2921)
  4. C. McGehee (2860)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2832)
  1. M. Kemp (2778)