Mar 31, 2012, 7:02 PM EDT
Gomez won the job by registering a 1.37 ERA, 1.07 WHIP and 14/8 K/BB ratio this spring in 19 2/3 Cactus League innings. His competition, Kevin Slowey, surrendered 19 hits and nine earned runs across 12 Cactus League frames for a 6.75 ERA.
Gomez has an underwhelming 4.58 ERA through the first 22 appearances (21 starts) of his major league career. The Indians are obviously hoping that the 24-year-old is ready to take a big step forward.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 11
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 7
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47
- Blue Jays, Giants “taking their best shot” at Chase Utley 19
- Baseball is dying, you guys (148)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Watch Derek Jeter tell Joe Buck to get the heck out of the clubhouse (91)
- Adam Wainwright follows the rules and pays the price (90)
- The Astros did not sign number one overall pick Brady Aiken. This is a big deal. (90)