Mar 31, 2012, 7:02 PM EDT
Gomez won the job by registering a 1.37 ERA, 1.07 WHIP and 14/8 K/BB ratio this spring in 19 2/3 Cactus League innings. His competition, Kevin Slowey, surrendered 19 hits and nine earned runs across 12 Cactus League frames for a 6.75 ERA.
Gomez has an underwhelming 4.58 ERA through the first 22 appearances (21 starts) of his major league career. The Indians are obviously hoping that the 24-year-old is ready to take a big step forward.
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 66
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 27
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (82)