Mar 31, 2012, 7:02 PM EDT
Gomez won the job by registering a 1.37 ERA, 1.07 WHIP and 14/8 K/BB ratio this spring in 19 2/3 Cactus League innings. His competition, Kevin Slowey, surrendered 19 hits and nine earned runs across 12 Cactus League frames for a 6.75 ERA.
Gomez has an underwhelming 4.58 ERA through the first 22 appearances (21 starts) of his major league career. The Indians are obviously hoping that the 24-year-old is ready to take a big step forward.
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 67
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 63
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 21
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)