Mar 31, 2012, 5:33 PM EDT
Johan Santana is very close to starting his first major league game since September 2, 2010.
According to Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com, Santana made it through a bullpen session this afternoon without any issues and is expected to be named as the Mets’ Opening Day starter tomorrow unless he reports any discomfort in his surgically-repaired shoulder.
Santana labored through a spring-high 88 pitches during his last start Monday against the Cardinals, but Mets pitching coach Dan Warthen was impressed by how he looked on the mound this afternoon.
“He was free and easy,” pitching coach Dan Warthen said about Saturday’s bullpen session, which included 39 warm-up pitches, then another 32 at game intensity. “The body didn’t ache. It hasn’t been the arm at any time. It’s been more the wear and tear on the body, getting it back in shape, and then being able to take the volume of pitches. Today he could have pitched very easily [in a game]. The body recovered really well yesterday.
Mets manager Terry Collins admitted that it would mean a lot to have Santana start Thursday’s season opener against the Braves, but he isn’t willing to push him if he needs a couple extra days to get ready.
Santana posted a 3.44 ERA and 13/7 K/BB ratio over 18 1/3 innings during Grapefruit League play. The Mets figure to have him on a pretty short leash initially, likely pulling him after 90 pitches or six innings.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)