Mar 31, 2012, 11:47 AM EDT
Michael Pineda will officially begin his tenure as a Yankee on the disabled list.
According to Marc Carig of the Newark Star-Ledger, Pineda was diagnosed with shoulder tendinitis following an MRI this morning. The 23-year-old right-hander reported some soreness behind his right shoulder last night after being pounded for six runs on seven hits and three walks over just 2 2/3 innings.
Pineda’s diminished velocity has been a constant topic of conversation this spring, so it’s not clear if he’s been trying to pitch through the injury all along. For what it’s worth, he did have a 3.31 ERA and a 16/7 K/BB ratio in 16 1/3 innings before last night’s outing.
The results of the MRI obviously could have been much worse, so the Yankees are fortunate in that respect, but it’s not known when he’ll resume throwing. They figure to be pretty cautious, though. Freddy Garcia is now officially in the Yankees’ starting rotation and will likely start the fifth game of the season on April 10 against the Orioles.
UPDATE: Yankees manager Joe Girardi said that Pineda will be shut down for 10-15 days, so it’s probably safe to rule him out for the first month of the season.
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy doesn’t expect Matt Cain to pitch again this year 3
- Matt Harvey throws off mound for first time since Tommy John surgery 2
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)