Mar 31, 2012, 11:47 AM EST
Michael Pineda will officially begin his tenure as a Yankee on the disabled list.
According to Marc Carig of the Newark Star-Ledger, Pineda was diagnosed with shoulder tendinitis following an MRI this morning. The 23-year-old right-hander reported some soreness behind his right shoulder last night after being pounded for six runs on seven hits and three walks over just 2 2/3 innings.
Pineda’s diminished velocity has been a constant topic of conversation this spring, so it’s not clear if he’s been trying to pitch through the injury all along. For what it’s worth, he did have a 3.31 ERA and a 16/7 K/BB ratio in 16 1/3 innings before last night’s outing.
The results of the MRI obviously could have been much worse, so the Yankees are fortunate in that respect, but it’s not known when he’ll resume throwing. They figure to be pretty cautious, though. Freddy Garcia is now officially in the Yankees’ starting rotation and will likely start the fifth game of the season on April 10 against the Orioles.
UPDATE: Yankees manager Joe Girardi said that Pineda will be shut down for 10-15 days, so it’s probably safe to rule him out for the first month of the season.
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 77
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 41
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 16
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (85)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)