Mar 31, 2012, 9:42 AM EDT
Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reported last night that Orioles have placed right-hander Alfredo Simon on waivers. Orioles executive vice president Dan Duquette downplayed the story initially, but Simon confirmed to Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com this morning that he has indeed been placed on waivers.
Simon, who is out of options this spring, struggled in his latest audition for a rotation spot Wednesday by allowing six runs over two innings against the Blue Jays. It was his first appearance in 10 days due to a groin injury.
Simon saved 17 games for the Orioles in 2010, but he was used primarily as a starter last season, posting a 4.90 ERA and 83/40 K/BB ratio over 115 2/3 innings. Nothing special, but since he hits the mid-90s on his fastball, he should draw some interest around the league.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 115
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 155
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 22
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 52
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (173)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (156)