Mar 31, 2012, 9:42 AM EST
Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reported last night that Orioles have placed right-hander Alfredo Simon on waivers. Orioles executive vice president Dan Duquette downplayed the story initially, but Simon confirmed to Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com this morning that he has indeed been placed on waivers.
Simon, who is out of options this spring, struggled in his latest audition for a rotation spot Wednesday by allowing six runs over two innings against the Blue Jays. It was his first appearance in 10 days due to a groin injury.
Simon saved 17 games for the Orioles in 2010, but he was used primarily as a starter last season, posting a 4.90 ERA and 83/40 K/BB ratio over 115 2/3 innings. Nothing special, but since he hits the mid-90s on his fastball, he should draw some interest around the league.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)