Mar 31, 2012, 10:01 PM EDT
Juan Carlos Oviedo (formerly known as Leo Nunez) is still in his native Dominican Republic, working to finish the assigned hours of community service that stand between him and a freshly-stamped work visa.
But community service won’t be the end of his punishment for years of committing identify fraud.
According to Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald, Major League Baseball will suspend Oviedo for six weeks once he is cleared to return to the United States. MLB was planning on also suspending him for two weeks of spring camp, but Opening Night is now just days away.
Oviedo, 30, tallied 36 saves in 42 chances last season as the Marlins’ closer. Miami won’t have to pay any part of his $6 million salary for 2012 while he is suspended and/or on the restricted list.
Something to think about: Oviedo turned himself in at the dying request of his father and is still being given a stiff, six-week punishment by the MLB commissioner’s office. What does that mean for a guy like Roberto Hernandez (formerly known as Fausto Carmona), who was outed by another person?
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 0
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 8
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 35
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 9
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 71
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 53
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (262)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)