Mar 31, 2012, 2:54 PM EDT
Scott Baker is back on track after missing some time due to right elbow inflammation, allowing one run over four innings in a minor league exhibition game earlier today, but the Twins have decided to go the safe route and place him on the 15-day disabled list.
Baker’s DL-stint was backdated to March 27, so he is eligible to return as soon as April 12. Barring any setbacks, he should be ready to go around then.
Jason Marquis is away from the team right now as he tends to his seven-year-old daughter, who was recently involved in a serious bicycle accident, so Carl Pavano, Francisco Liriano and Liam Hendriks are expected to start during the first series of the season against the Orioles. Baker was originally penciled in to start the home opener on April 9 against the Angels, but now Nick Blackburn will get the call.
Baker, 31, posted a career-best 3.14 ERA and 123/32 K/BB ratio over 134 2/3 innings last season. However, he was limited to just four starts and two relief appearances after the All-Star break due to a strained flexor muscle in his elbow.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (127)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (99)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (98)