Apr 1, 2012, 5:35 PM EST
The last time Bailey pitched, it was in a minor league game, which would seem to indicate that the Sox are contemplating placing him the disabled list to start the season. It’s much easier to backdate a player — placing him on the DL retroactively — when he hasn’t pitched in a major league spring training game in a while.
Specifically, the DL stint could be backdated to March 26, allowing Bailey to return to big league action on April 10.
The 27-year-old right-hander averaged under 45 appearances in his last two seasons as the Athletics’ ninth-inning man due to a variety of ailments. It seems he has carried that injury-proneness with him to Boston.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (109)