Apr 1, 2012, 5:35 PM EST
The last time Bailey pitched, it was in a minor league game, which would seem to indicate that the Sox are contemplating placing him the disabled list to start the season. It’s much easier to backdate a player — placing him on the DL retroactively — when he hasn’t pitched in a major league spring training game in a while.
Specifically, the DL stint could be backdated to March 26, allowing Bailey to return to big league action on April 10.
The 27-year-old right-hander averaged under 45 appearances in his last two seasons as the Athletics’ ninth-inning man due to a variety of ailments. It seems he has carried that injury-proneness with him to Boston.
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 18
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 30
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 81
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 29
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 97
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)