Apr 1, 2012, 4:44 PM EDT
The deal is thought to be similar to the five-year, $28.5 million pact that 25-year-old southpaw Derek Holland got from the Rangers back in mid-March. That contract also carries club options for the 2017 ($11 million) and 2018 ($11.5 million) seasons.
Niese, who is also 25 and a native of Ohio like Holland, registered a 4.40 ERA, 1.41 WHIP and 138/44 K/BB ratio across 157 1/3 innings for the Mets last year before straining a muscle on his right side near the end of August. The former seventh-round draft pick has a 4.39 career ERA in 65 total major league appearances (64 of which have been starts).
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 11
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 17
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 60
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 65
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)