Apr 1, 2012, 4:44 PM EST
The deal is thought to be similar to the five-year, $28.5 million pact that 25-year-old southpaw Derek Holland got from the Rangers back in mid-March. That contract also carries club options for the 2017 ($11 million) and 2018 ($11.5 million) seasons.
Niese, who is also 25 and a native of Ohio like Holland, registered a 4.40 ERA, 1.41 WHIP and 138/44 K/BB ratio across 157 1/3 innings for the Mets last year before straining a muscle on his right side near the end of August. The former seventh-round draft pick has a 4.39 career ERA in 65 total major league appearances (64 of which have been starts).
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 11
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 62
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 74
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 60
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 53
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)