Apr 1, 2012, 4:44 PM EDT
The deal is thought to be similar to the five-year, $28.5 million pact that 25-year-old southpaw Derek Holland got from the Rangers back in mid-March. That contract also carries club options for the 2017 ($11 million) and 2018 ($11.5 million) seasons.
Niese, who is also 25 and a native of Ohio like Holland, registered a 4.40 ERA, 1.41 WHIP and 138/44 K/BB ratio across 157 1/3 innings for the Mets last year before straining a muscle on his right side near the end of August. The former seventh-round draft pick has a 4.39 career ERA in 65 total major league appearances (64 of which have been starts).
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 48
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)