Apr 1, 2012, 4:44 PM EDT
The deal is thought to be similar to the five-year, $28.5 million pact that 25-year-old southpaw Derek Holland got from the Rangers back in mid-March. That contract also carries club options for the 2017 ($11 million) and 2018 ($11.5 million) seasons.
Niese, who is also 25 and a native of Ohio like Holland, registered a 4.40 ERA, 1.41 WHIP and 138/44 K/BB ratio across 157 1/3 innings for the Mets last year before straining a muscle on his right side near the end of August. The former seventh-round draft pick has a 4.39 career ERA in 65 total major league appearances (64 of which have been starts).
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 22
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 22
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 42
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 63
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 75
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 92
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)