Apr 2, 2012, 8:26 PM EDT
UPDATE: Abraham now reports that Bailey was already told that surgery is recommended on his thumb. If Dr. Thomas Graham agrees with the diagnosis, the surgery could happen as soon as tomorrow.
8:26 PM: Andrew Bailey‘s thumb injury? Yeah, it could be a lot more serious than we originally thought.
Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe reports that Bailey’s right thumb was examined today in Boston and the news was “not good.” Surgery is now on the table as a possibility and he’ll be in Cleveland tomorrow to get a second opinion from Dr. Thomas Graham, a hand specialist and surgeon.
It’s pretty much a given that Bailey will begin the season on the disabled list at this point, but no word on how long he could be sidelined if surgery is indeed required. Alfredo Aceves and Mark Melancon loom as possible replacements for the ninth inning, but one wonders if the Red Sox will rethink moving Daniel Bard to the rotation if Bailey needs to miss an extended period of time.
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 5
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 59
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 110
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 78
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 76
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (110)