Andrew Bailey told that he needs surgery on thumb

Apr 2, 2012, 8:26 PM EDT

andrew bailey getty Getty Images

UPDATE: Abraham now reports that Bailey was already told that surgery is recommended on his thumb. If Dr. Thomas Graham agrees with the diagnosis, the surgery could happen as soon as tomorrow.

8:26 PM: Andrew Bailey‘s thumb injury? Yeah, it could be a lot more serious than we originally thought.

Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe reports that Bailey’s right thumb was examined today in Boston and the news was “not good.” Surgery is now on the table as a possibility and he’ll be in Cleveland tomorrow to get a second opinion from Dr. Thomas Graham, a hand specialist and surgeon.

It’s pretty much a given that Bailey will begin the season on the disabled list at this point, but no word on how long he could be sidelined if surgery is indeed required. Alfredo Aceves and Mark Melancon loom as possible replacements for the ninth inning, but one wonders if the Red Sox will rethink moving Daniel Bard to the rotation if Bailey needs to miss an extended period of time.

1. illadelphiasphinest - Apr 2, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Guy is made of glass. Carefull he may pull a hammy on the way to the hospital for his thumb surgery.

2. mikeincmn - Apr 3, 2012 at 12:07 AM

I think they should give Melancon a shot. He had a nice year down in Houston. Granted nobody cared down there and closing in a big market can be a different beast, but considering I picked him up on my fantasy team I admit to being bias.

3. bigharold - Apr 3, 2012 at 12:09 AM

“Alfredo Aceves … as possible replacements for the ninth inning”

Actually, that might not be a bad choice considering Bard is supposed to be in the rotation. Aceves can pitch no matter where he’s at, .. the guy is fearless.

I’m wondering though how long it will be before the Nation starts besting the injury drum?

• rollinghighwayblues - Apr 3, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Personally, I’m besting the “face in my hands’ drum.

• rollinghighwayblues - Apr 3, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Thanks Harold, you made me misspell the word beating, too.

4. deathmonkey41 - Apr 3, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Maybe he hitchhiked from Oakland to Boston.

5. randygnyc - Apr 3, 2012 at 8:15 AM

This is just great news, for Yankees fans the world over.

6. largebill - Apr 3, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Bailey’s injury is an example of how new media is changing how we get our information. I was in our AL draft Sunday afternoon when I see a tweet from someone about Bailey’s thumb. Fifteen minutes later I have a 70 cent (out of 26 dollar salary cap) Malancon on my roster. If he manages to hold the closer job for even a few weeks that will be my most economical move of the draft. We always talk about how expensive closers are bad investments, well Bailey went for around 3 dollars shortly before I saw his injury tweet.

Pitching duel highlights Game 1 of WS