Apr 2, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT
This is the latest BSOHL I have ever witnessed, but this is an unequivocal case.
As we’ve noted, Matt Cain has set a Friday deadline for contract extension talks with the Giants. As recently as the other day he said that there was nothing really happening. Now Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com reports that “the volume of dialogue has increased between the Giants and Cain’s representatives,” so there’s still a chance that a deal can be done.
Cain hasn’t let himself appear distracted on the mound this spring. In six Cactus League exhibitions, he was 3-0 with a 1.42 ERA and had a 24-to-3 strikeout-to-walk ratio. Coaches and teammates remarked that Cain was in a consistently sunny mood and also appeared to be in the best shape of his career.
That probably justifies the $100 million+ Cain will be seeking in and of itself.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 32
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 58
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (114)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (85)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon