Apr 2, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT
This is the latest BSOHL I have ever witnessed, but this is an unequivocal case.
As we’ve noted, Matt Cain has set a Friday deadline for contract extension talks with the Giants. As recently as the other day he said that there was nothing really happening. Now Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com reports that “the volume of dialogue has increased between the Giants and Cain’s representatives,” so there’s still a chance that a deal can be done.
Cain hasn’t let himself appear distracted on the mound this spring. In six Cactus League exhibitions, he was 3-0 with a 1.42 ERA and had a 24-to-3 strikeout-to-walk ratio. Coaches and teammates remarked that Cain was in a consistently sunny mood and also appeared to be in the best shape of his career.
That probably justifies the $100 million+ Cain will be seeking in and of itself.
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 8
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 28
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 17
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 158
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 30
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (158)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (96)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)