Apr 2, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT
This is the latest BSOHL I have ever witnessed, but this is an unequivocal case.
As we’ve noted, Matt Cain has set a Friday deadline for contract extension talks with the Giants. As recently as the other day he said that there was nothing really happening. Now Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com reports that “the volume of dialogue has increased between the Giants and Cain’s representatives,” so there’s still a chance that a deal can be done.
Cain hasn’t let himself appear distracted on the mound this spring. In six Cactus League exhibitions, he was 3-0 with a 1.42 ERA and had a 24-to-3 strikeout-to-walk ratio. Coaches and teammates remarked that Cain was in a consistently sunny mood and also appeared to be in the best shape of his career.
That probably justifies the $100 million+ Cain will be seeking in and of itself.
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 0
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 40
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 49
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 29
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 91
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (93)