Report: Reds, Joey Votto agree to 10-year, $225 million deal

Apr 2, 2012, 6:59 PM EDT

Joey Votto

Update: It’s a 10-year, $225 million extension, according to USA TODAY’s Bob Nightengale. It doesn’t replace Votto’s current contract, so it will run from 2014-2023.

If the story is true, it’s the fourth biggest contract of all-time, surpassing Prince Fielder‘s deal with the Tigers. Alex Rodriguez holds the top two places on the list, with Albert Pujols‘ new $240 million deal in third place.

///

Joey Votto is under contract for $9.5 million this season and $17 million next season as part of an extension signed last winter, but Tim Dierkes of MLB Trade Rumors reports that the Reds are close to signing the former MVP to a significantly longer extension.

According to Dierkes the new extension “could surpass $200 million” in total value, although the length and salary details aren’t known yet.

This offseason Prince Fielder, who’s 27 years old, signed a nine-year, $214 million contract with the Tigers and Albert Pujols, who’s 32 years old, inked a 10-year, $240 million deal with the Angels. Votto is 28 years old and has been every bit as productive as Fielder and Pujols during the past three seasons, hitting .318 with a .983 OPS during that time while leading the league in OPS in 2010 and on-base percentage in both 2010 and 2011.

This could mean the end of Brandon Phillips‘ time in Cincinnati, as it’s hard to see the Reds having the money to keep the impending free agent second baseman around beyond this season if they’re throwing $200 million at Votto.

1. stlouis1baseball - Apr 2, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Countdown to the “my glass is always half empty” comment. 10,9,8,7,6,5,…..

• metalhead65 - Apr 2, 2012 at 2:43 PM

for a st.louis fan you sure spend alot of time worrying about the reds and what I have to say about my team.did it ever occur to you that because I have been a lifelong fan that I have seen all this stuff going on with them before and that I do know what I am talking about? and if you do not agree with me to bad the cardinals suck and the last thing I need is a fan of the whiney bitches telling me what to think.

• Chip Caray's Eyebrows - Apr 2, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Cardinals fans are typically insufferable. Actually, make that St. Louis sports fans in general.

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 2, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Metal: As someone who was born, raised and still lives in the heart of Redlegs/Cubs Country in Indiana I absolutely make the Reds’ business…my business. Hell…they are in the Central for crying out loud. Not to mention all of my buddies are Redlegs fans. Not to mention I take in several Cardinals games a year at the Great American Smallpark. So yeah…I follow what they are doing. A little piece of unsolicited advice for you: You are NOT doing yourself any favors with your your whiny bitch comments. Dude…you need some new material. Otherwise…your just making things harder on yourself.
        One thing we can agree on though…Go Hoosiers!

• coryfor3 - Apr 2, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Wow. More stupid money. When will these teams ever learn? A-Rod, Mauer, Soriano…no one is worth a 10 year deal. There’s no way they make it through that deal with any value. Crazy waste of money. Especially for a team like the Reds. They’re not going to succeed dropping 225 million on one player.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Apr 2, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Not sure how you are determining value of the contract, but Arod provided more value than his first contract, and Jeter essentially broke even.

2. bsbiz - Apr 2, 2012 at 1:19 PM

While that’s silly money for anyone, it is much wiser to spend it on one of the top three players in the league (who is also under 30) as opposed to a pretty good second baseman. Phillips is good, but if it has to be either Votto or Phillips, the choice is obvious.

• cltjump - Apr 2, 2012 at 1:51 PM

My sentiments exactly.

3. okwhitefalcon - Apr 2, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Great move by the Reds, congrats to both.

Looks like Brandon Phillips days in Cincy beyond this year just came to an end..

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 2, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Absolutely Falcon. I certainly didn’t see this one coming. But I am glad to see it done.
      I want the Central to be strong top to bottom…Joey helps in this area.

• cltjump - Apr 2, 2012 at 1:52 PM

“I want the Central to be strong top to bottom”
        Keep your head up, the ‘Stros leave in a year.

• stex52 - Apr 2, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Astros will not be bad forever. Poor management has driven them into a deep hole, but they will be good again. Just sorry it won’t be in the NL Central anymore. Hate to give up baseball and go to DH ball.

4. mdpickles - Apr 2, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Joey is a kids name. When he gets paid, can we all just call him Joe Votto?

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 2, 2012 at 1:48 PM

I hear you Pickles. But keep in mind…Joey is Candian.
      I think Cur’s first name is Billy. Or is it Mikey? Cur?

• proudlycanadian - Apr 2, 2012 at 5:01 PM

You are way off in your guess about Cur’s real name. His real name is actually, an aboriginal term for Beaver hunter extraordinaire.

• 24missed - Apr 2, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Cur’s first name is PlatonicHBTboyfriend.

• cur68 - Apr 2, 2012 at 11:15 PM

I thought my real name was “King Stud”? Huh. My delusions of grandeur appear to be just delusions after all. Y’know what my Pro Beaver Wrestling name is? “El Roedor Gigante Tamer”.

• madhatternalice - Apr 2, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Pickles is a pet’s name. Can we all just call you Doctor?

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 2, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Touche Madhatter. Touche.

• mdpickles - Apr 2, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Please do!

• cltjump - Apr 2, 2012 at 1:53 PM

That’d be like calling Chipper “Larry.”

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 2, 2012 at 1:57 PM

But I try to ALWAYS refer to him as Larry. For whatever reason…I just like to.

• Jeremy T - Apr 2, 2012 at 2:36 PM

or “Lawrence”

• hoopmatch - Apr 2, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Let’s compromise and call him Joe E. Votto.

5. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Apr 2, 2012 at 1:41 PM

It’s good for baseball, and good for a longtime loyal fanbase like Cincinatti, to have their superstar kept on the team. I’m tired of watching the biggest markets obtain the biggest bats. Given that this gets done, I commend Walt and his office for locking Votto in.

• paperlions - Apr 2, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Even as a Cardinal fan….I agree 100%. Hopefully, Cinci will be able to ramp up the payroll to over $100M so they don’t have a team with Votto ($20+M), a few solid vets ($10M or so each), and scraps (considering they traded away a lot of their top prospects the last few months).

• bsbiz - Apr 2, 2012 at 2:51 PM

The thing about the prospects they traded was that they were all blocked by someone either already on the field (Votto vs Alonso), someone who was better (Mesoraco vs Grandal), and someone who needed a change in environment (Volquez). Boxberger is a relief prospect, and in all honesty, given the way bullpens work, those types of guys are more or less interchangeable.

• paperlions - Apr 2, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Yes, but that doesn’t change the fact that they are gone, and were not used to obtain much cheap talent, which they will need a lot of if they keep Votto. Latos will be cheap this year….but if he remains an ace, he won’t be cheap for very long.

Unfortunately for Cinci, Jocketty’s strong suit has never been building at team through the system, but signing FAs and trading any young talent for vets. A model that now only works for the richest of franchises. I’m not sure how well that model will work if Cinci has the same financial constraints going forward that they have right now.

• bsbiz - Apr 2, 2012 at 3:22 PM

One of the unknowns is their television contract with FSOhio. It came up for re-negotiation right as the economy tanked in 2008 and thus came much cheaper than where they are now. I think it’s coming back up in the next 3-5 years, so there may be some more “free” money there. As of now, they are only getting $10 million/year. Given the current market/going rate for television contracts, that could basically be whatever the annual value of Votto’s contract is reported to be.

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 2, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Matt: Really? I mean…is this truly how you feel? Regardless of the small market team that is involved? If so…what did you think about the Angles offseason acquisition?

• spudchukar - Apr 2, 2012 at 2:30 PM

The so-called long-time loyal fan base, must have moved out of town, cause they sure aren’t showing up for games.

6. icanspeel - Apr 2, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Makes sense to sign Votto to a long term deal, esp since they were willing to trade Alonso

7. metalhead65 - Apr 2, 2012 at 2:36 PM

great news as a reds fan. let’s just hope they do not do the same as they did with .jr griffey,pay him the big contract then blame that contract on not paying anybody else that is any good to play with him. being that they are a small market team and all they just can’t compete according to the billionaire owners of the team.

8. psuravens19 - Apr 2, 2012 at 2:59 PM

“$200 Million? That’s It?” Says the recent winner of the Mega Million lottery.

9. brewcrewfan54 - Apr 2, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Good news for Reds fans but I have a feeling this deal is potentially crippling a few years down the road.

10. illadelphiasphinest - Apr 2, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Welcome to Philly Brandon Phillips.

11. firemarshal1 - Apr 2, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Great, no an awesome move. This will energize the Fan base along with helping the Reds securing a new and fair FOX OH television contract like everyone. Remember, the Midwest is a big baseball country. Southern Ohio, Northern KY, Indiana, and parts of West Virginia. That’s at least 20 million people, with about 5 million TV viewers, including another 2-3 million lifelong loyal Reds fans nationally like myself. I would have Directv conduct a poll for MLB extra innings package. That why I paid for it, for the Cincinnati REDS only. Sorry, not for the NY Yankees and Boston Red Sox.

12. brucewaynewins - Apr 2, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Aaron Gleeman, I know John Fay reported the Reds are looking to renegotiate a new deal with FSO before the current deal expires in 2016 to get the influx of cash everyone else is getting. The news was they wouldn’t sign Votto till they new the deal was immanent. So assuming that still holds true this may not mean Phillips is gone.

13. djlexluger - Apr 2, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Why does this league not have a salary cap again?

• drewsylvania - Apr 2, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Because it’d rather encourage the rich-poor dichotomy by having a luxury tax system.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Apr 2, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Why does it need one?

14. sasquash20 - Apr 2, 2012 at 7:21 PM

At first I looked at this and thought what are they thinking. But if you look at the deals other stud 1st baseman Like Puljouls, Fielder, and Howard signed and its not that bad. In fact who knows what the next generation of stud bats will get. By the end of this contract it could be a steal. I don’t root for the Reds but I do like Votto. He seems like a good dude.

15. metalhead65 - Apr 2, 2012 at 7:37 PM

hey st. louis, I was hoping I would not have to keep refering to the redbirds by that name now st. larussa is not the manager but the new guy could not make out of spring training without finding something to complain about. I will not refer to them with that term if they proimse not to cry anytime something happens that does not go their way. when they realize that a reds pitcher is not trying to hit their batter when with 2 outs and their best hitter up next. when carpenter realizes that every once in while the reds can score runs off him and not be cheating by messing with the mound or the baseballs,you know the same mound and balls the reds pitcgers use. or hard as it may be to believe that Arroyo can have a good game without scuffing the baseballs. as long as they don’t whine and cry about everything no matter how petty then I won’t have to call them that. and yes go HOOSIERS! they will be dangerous next season with a real point guard leading them.

• paperlions - Apr 2, 2012 at 8:13 PM

You can’t make it past 7 am without bitching about something. You whine, cry, and bitch in every single thing you post.

• metalhead65 - Apr 2, 2012 at 8:44 PM

yea so sorry you are forced to read them but that is what you have to do to be on this site right? I mean it clearly states you must read the posts put up by people whose opinons you do not agree with right? just because you can’t argue with what I say does not mean it’s wrong and I should not express how I feel. please show what I said about the incidents I pointed out about the cards was wrong? they either did what I said or didin’t and if they didn’t show me? not to hard to do and if you can’t prove me wrong the you need stop whining about me being a whiner. or better yet how about you just skip the comments since you hate them so so much? it is really upsetting to me and I have hard time sleeping at night knowing you don’t agree with me and are giving me a thumbs down.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet