Apr 2, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
Sam Fuld was slated for a minor role after fading in the second half last season, but now the Rays will have to find a new backup outfielder.
Fuld is scheduled for wrist surgery tomorrow and is expected to miss 4-5 months, putting his entire season in jeopardy. He originally suffered the injury in September.
Fuld became a cult hero in Tampa Bay by hitting .350 with speed and great defense through his first 23 games, but then batted just .202 with a .580 OPS in his final 84 games.
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 6
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 37
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 28
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)