Apr 2, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
Sam Fuld was slated for a minor role after fading in the second half last season, but now the Rays will have to find a new backup outfielder.
Fuld is scheduled for wrist surgery tomorrow and is expected to miss 4-5 months, putting his entire season in jeopardy. He originally suffered the injury in September.
Fuld became a cult hero in Tampa Bay by hitting .350 with speed and great defense through his first 23 games, but then batted just .202 with a .580 OPS in his final 84 games.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 0
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 58
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)