Apr 2, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
Sam Fuld was slated for a minor role after fading in the second half last season, but now the Rays will have to find a new backup outfielder.
Fuld is scheduled for wrist surgery tomorrow and is expected to miss 4-5 months, putting his entire season in jeopardy. He originally suffered the injury in September.
Fuld became a cult hero in Tampa Bay by hitting .350 with speed and great defense through his first 23 games, but then batted just .202 with a .580 OPS in his final 84 games.
- Jonathan Lucroy headed to disabled list with broken toe 3
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 19
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 40
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 14
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 14
- National League GM says Phillies’ asking price for Cole Hamels hasn’t dropped “one bit” 16
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (128)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (105)