Apr 2, 2012, 6:55 PM EDT
“This is Birdland” - the Orioles’ 2012 slogan.
Jake Arrieta had a 5.05 ERA in 22 starts before requiring elbow surgery and missing the final two months of last season. This spring, he has a 6.14 ERA in his four starts. Incredibly, it was a good enough showing to earn him the Opening Day assignment against the Twins this year.
The Orioles didn’t announce their full rotation Monday, but they did state that Arrieta would start the opener and former Rockies right-hander Jason Hammel would go in the third game of the season. The other three rotation spots are expected to be filled by Wei-Yin Chen, Brian Matusz and Tommy Hunter.
Obviously, no one from the crew really jumps out as being worthy of an Opening Day start. No one in the group has thrown as many as 180 innings in a major league season. Hunter has the best ERA of the four with major league experience, having gone 26-16 with a 4.50 ERA in a career mostly spent with the Rangers. Matusz has probably had the most impressive spring of the bunch, but he went 1-9 with a 10.69 ERA last season.
So, get ready for Arrieta versus Carl Pavano on Opening Day. It’ll count in the standings, if nothing else.
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 42
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 10
- Don Mattingly may be uttering his last words as Dodgers manager 46
- Jaime Garcia needs shoulder surgery 7
- Rafael Soriano calls out Bryce Harper for the game-tying triple last night 60
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree tears achilles, out six months