Apr 2, 2012, 6:55 PM EDT
“This is Birdland” – the Orioles’ 2012 slogan.
Jake Arrieta had a 5.05 ERA in 22 starts before requiring elbow surgery and missing the final two months of last season. This spring, he has a 6.14 ERA in his four starts. Incredibly, it was a good enough showing to earn him the Opening Day assignment against the Twins this year.
The Orioles didn’t announce their full rotation Monday, but they did state that Arrieta would start the opener and former Rockies right-hander Jason Hammel would go in the third game of the season. The other three rotation spots are expected to be filled by Wei-Yin Chen, Brian Matusz and Tommy Hunter.
Obviously, no one from the crew really jumps out as being worthy of an Opening Day start. No one in the group has thrown as many as 180 innings in a major league season. Hunter has the best ERA of the four with major league experience, having gone 26-16 with a 4.50 ERA in a career mostly spent with the Rangers. Matusz has probably had the most impressive spring of the bunch, but he went 1-9 with a 10.69 ERA last season.
So, get ready for Arrieta versus Carl Pavano on Opening Day. It’ll count in the standings, if nothing else.
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 0
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 4
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 52
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 11
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)