Ubaldo Jimenez says he doesn’t deserve suspension, isn’t apologizing, didn’t hit Troy Tulowitzki on purpose
Apr 2, 2012, 2:49 PM EDT
Jordan Bastian of MLB.com described Jimenez as having “leaned back in his chair inside the Indians’ clubhouse on Monday morning, calmly disagreeing with the notion that a suspension was warranted.”
Asked about the pitch, Jimenez said:
Hit by pitches happen every day in the game. It’s not a surprise that somebody gets hit, especially a guy like him. You have to try to go inside on him. … I said already that I didn’t mean to hit him. It was a pitch that got away. I had five walks in the game. I was everywhere.
Asked about former manager Jim Tracy calling for his suspension and calling it “the most gutless act I have seen in 35 years of professional baseball” Jimenez said:
I can’t control what people say. People act like this is the first time that somebody got hit. It happens in the game. That’s part of the game. It’s always been part of the game.
Jimenez also said he has no plans to apologize to Tulowitzki, who’s day-to-day with a bruised elbow after X-rays came back negative.
Bastian has a lot more on the situation at MLB.com, including some thoughts from Indians manager Manny Acta and further background details.
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 17
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 10
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 24
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 20
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)