Ubaldo Jimenez draws five-game suspension for throwing at Troy Tulowitzki

Apr 2, 2012, 6:22 PM EDT

Ubaldo Jimenez, Carlos Santana AP

Cleveland’s Ubaldo Jimenez was banned five games by the league Monday for intentionally throwing a pitch at Rockies shortstop Troy Tulowitzki on Sunday.

Jimenez was not ejected from Sunday’s game, even though it was obvious he meant to drill Tulowitzki. The benches cleared after the incident, though order was quickly restored. Tulo was taken for X-rays on a bruised left elbow, but they came back negative and he’s still expected to be ready for Opening Day.

Jimenez, who said he did no wrong, is likely to appeal the suspension. However, it’d be for the best if he serves it right away. The Indians have Friday off, so they can use a four-man rotation for the first five games of the season and then have Jimenez start the sixth game on April 11. Opening Day starter Justin Masterson would pitch Thursday and Tuesday in that scenario.

1. brewcrewfan54 - Apr 2, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Him missing a start can only help his numbers. One less start of 5 IP and 5 earned runs.

• spudchukar - Apr 2, 2012 at 7:25 PM

I was thinking likewise. Cleveland fans may soon be uttering, please hurt me some more.

2. Lukehart80 - Apr 2, 2012 at 6:29 PM

None of us know quite what happened, because there’s no video (that I know of anyway, perhaps I’m mistaken), but based on what has been said by those that were there, this seems appropriate.

• firstandonlywarning - Apr 2, 2012 at 6:39 PM

• Lukehart80 - Apr 2, 2012 at 7:04 PM

I had not seen that, thanks for posting it.

• DJ MC - Apr 2, 2012 at 6:41 PM

• Lukehart80 - Apr 2, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Thanks, I hadn’t seen either of the clips until now. Seems clear it was intentional. I’m an Indians fan, but I hope the suspension is upheld.

3. deathmonkey41 - Apr 2, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Man, I’m so glad the Yankees didn’t trade for this fool. He’s really had a 1/2 of success in his career and the Indians gave up the farm for him.

• drewsylvania - Apr 2, 2012 at 7:13 PM

When they gave up Pomeranz for him, my first thought was that Pomeranz might be as good as Jimenez *right now*.

4. stevem7 - Apr 2, 2012 at 6:35 PM

So he sat on his chair in the clubhouse this morning running his mouth and this afternoon he is suspended. The shame of it is that he should be suspended for 5 rotation starts because suspending a pitcher for 5 days means he only misses one start.

• Kevin S. - Apr 2, 2012 at 6:40 PM

My thought was always that SP should be suspended 9 games – that way, if they drop their appeal after a start, they still miss a turn through the rotation, and if they do go before an appeal board they can get it reduced to five games, again missing one start (since they can’t control when the suspension begins).

• themohel - Apr 2, 2012 at 6:55 PM

I like this idea, Kevin. Currently, it is too easy for them to game the system with the 5 gamer.

• drewsylvania - Apr 2, 2012 at 7:03 PM

The idea is that a starting pitcher only gets about 30-35 starts, so missing one start is as bad for him and the team as a hitter or reliever missing five games.

• spudchukar - Apr 2, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Which only highlights the importance of “regular starters”, vs. the once every day contributors.

• Kevin S. - Apr 2, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Right, but if a SP appeals his suspension and then drops the appeal the day after his start, he doesn’t “miss” a start so much as he gets it pushed back one day. Big effin’ deal.

5. dowhatifeellike - Apr 2, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Appeal being filed in 3…2…

• spudchukar - Apr 2, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Of course you are absolutely correct, which only brings me to a previously echoed rant. (By me, that is). What I would love to see is that upon appeal, MLB decides to increase a suspension due to the fact that you have a lot of FUCKING nerve challenging a ruling that should have actually been much more severe. Only then will the perfunctory appeal process be properly addressed.

6. poprox13 - Apr 2, 2012 at 6:57 PM

espn video……..

7. drewsylvania - Apr 2, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Clearly, even MLB considers his claims of “the ball got away” to be the laughable BS they are.

8. mogogo1 - Apr 2, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Followed Jimenez when he was with the Rockies. Actually felt sorry for him because he had the big year, got a big contract, then struggled, taking heat for not fulfilling his potential. He always seemed like a good kid. This seems out of character and it only makes matters worse that he won’t own up to his conduct. I’d have much more respect for him if he simply admitting he plunked Tulo.

• ezthinking - Apr 2, 2012 at 8:48 PM

He didn’t get a big contract from a big year.

9. JP - Apr 2, 2012 at 8:30 PM

I live in Denver and am a Rockies fan and even I cannot believe how badly this blew up in Ubaldo’s face.

Tulo called him out in the Denver Post a couple weeks ago, basically saying Ubaldo didn’t want to be here last year and wasn’t overly deserving of a new contract. Now – don’t get me wrong – Tulo has earned the right to speak his mind, but I really don’t blame Ubaldo for being pissed. I was a little surprised that Tulo broke the unwritten player’s code and called out his former teammate in the media. (It speaks to Ubaldo’s lack of support in the locker room, but I digress…)

Even though I think Ubaldo acts like a whiny child, I actually respect the fact that he stood up for himself and threw at Tulo. I don’t like that he did it, because it could have hurt Tulo in a meaningless game… But Tulo may have had it coming for speaking out of school.

• brokea$$lovesmesomeme - Apr 2, 2012 at 8:39 PM

I totally agree with you. I know you don’t hear everything that comes out if the clubhouse but I never heard anything bad being said about the guy in the papers or on talk radio. And Tulo was JA for calling him out like that, you never speak about another mans money like that.

• ezthinking - Apr 2, 2012 at 8:51 PM

There is no unwritten code especially AFTER Jimenez ripped the Rocks front office and bitched about not getting the money Tulo and Cargo got. He’s a bitch and a punk and has Oliver Perez written all over him.

10. dnc6 - Apr 2, 2012 at 8:51 PM

So, are we now suspending every pitcher that we’re pretty sure intentionally hit a guy?

• ezthinking - Apr 2, 2012 at 8:51 PM

yes, been that way for about 15 years now.

11. wilsonramosrescuerangers - Apr 3, 2012 at 1:41 AM

I’m a huge Rockies fan so I was very sad to see him go last year, until I watched him pitch for the Indians. He had an amazing 1/2 year but since then has seemed to not care. He told the Rockies brass last year that he didn’t want to win for the team if they didn’t value him like they did CarGo and Tulo, and demanded a trade. Thats about the time he started tanking games and giving up BP fastballs. The execs came back and said if he wanted to be traded, he better “try to win” or no team would want him. His mom even complained about how the apparel stands at the stadium had more CarGo and Tulo jerseys.

I’m glad he’s not with them anymore.

12. largebill - Apr 3, 2012 at 10:51 AM

As an Indians fan I hated the trade at the time and thought/posted that we gave up way too much for a pitcher with declining velocity. However, this suspension is stupid. I’m generally opposed to head hunting and realize a pitch to the head can kill a guy. This was not a pitch at his head it was barely more than waist high. Oddly enough a Rockies pitcher beaned Montero in the head the next day. If Wedge whined and cried like Tracy would the commissioner suspend the Rockies pitcher?

13. jbraxton3rd - Apr 3, 2012 at 12:17 PM

How can you intentionally hurt another player?? I don’t get it. It’s only a game..

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate