Apr 2, 2012, 6:22 PM EDT
Jimenez was not ejected from Sunday’s game, even though it was obvious he meant to drill Tulowitzki. The benches cleared after the incident, though order was quickly restored. Tulo was taken for X-rays on a bruised left elbow, but they came back negative and he’s still expected to be ready for Opening Day.
Jimenez, who said he did no wrong, is likely to appeal the suspension. However, it’d be for the best if he serves it right away. The Indians have Friday off, so they can use a four-man rotation for the first five games of the season and then have Jimenez start the sixth game on April 11. Opening Day starter Justin Masterson would pitch Thursday and Tuesday in that scenario.
- Umpires use replay on controversial Matt Joyce home run 0
- Rangers put Ian Kinsler on the 15-day disabled list and call up top prospect Jurickson Profar 1
- Carlos Ruiz leaves game with strained right hamstring 1
- Andrew McCutchen scratched from Pirates’ starting lineup 5
- Ike Davis assured by Mets GM demotion is not imminent 9