Adam Dunn will hit third in the White Sox’s lineup following disastrous season

Apr 3, 2012, 12:16 PM EDT

Chicago White Sox's first baseman Dunn waits for his pitch during their spring training game against the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, at Tempe Diablo Stadium in Tempe Reuters

Adam Dunn was as bad as a previously excellent hitter could possibly be last season, batting .159 while moving down the lineup and then eventually to the bench, but new White Sox manager Robin Ventura is wiping the slate clean.

Not only is Ventura committed to playing Dunn every day, he’ll begin the season batting third in the White Sox’s lineup.

Obviously if Dunn performs anything like he did last season he has no business being anywhere near the middle of the lineup, but Ventura correctly noted that if Dunn turns things around his skill set is a good fit in the No. 3 spot:

He gets on base a lot. Even though he might strike out a little bit, he does walk a lot. To me, that’s a good thing in front of Paul [Konerko].

And he’s absolutely right, as Dunn has a .374 career on-base percentage and has gotten 13 percent of his career playing time as a No. 3 hitter, although it won’t matter if he doesn’t get back on track in a big way. He’s hit .255 with a .415 on-base percentage and .569 slugging percentage this spring, which is exactly what Dunn’s numbers look like when he’s playing well.

1. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Apr 3, 2012 at 12:28 PM

I still think he’ll bat over .220, hit over 30 homers and drive in…well…80. Decent OPS.

Seriously, no one else in that lineup can bat 3rd. Should be one odd seson.

2. l0yalr0yal - Apr 3, 2012 at 12:46 PM

My fantasy team (so graciously) auto-drafted Paul Goldschmidt and Ike Davis for me. I dropped Davis and took a shot on a good comeback season from Dunn. I need you big guy.

• CJ - Apr 3, 2012 at 1:35 PM

pretty much the same here. Took the same chance on Werth. Here’s hoping both of their ’11 seasons were just “farts in the wind”.

• sasquash20 - Apr 3, 2012 at 1:47 PM

You dropped Davis? He will have a better average, and similar HR and RBI numbers then Dunn. I think you made a mistake. Remember the fences were moved in at the Mets new gay field.

• ezthinking - Apr 3, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Dropped Davis? Unless it is a really shallow league, he has trade value. Had to be someone else to drop.

Good call on Dunn though.

• l0yalr0yal - Apr 3, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Apparently I am a retard, apparently should have taken to the HBT commenters before I made that decision. It’s not a very deep league. It’s my first year playing, but Dunn is having a totally decent spring, so I thought….

You know what, nevermind. I’ll just ask for help here next time.

• CJ - Apr 3, 2012 at 4:05 PM

apparently based on the thumbs down, any discussion of fantasy BB is frowned upon in this establishment. :)

• l0yalr0yal - Apr 3, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Noted.

• CJ - Apr 3, 2012 at 5:45 PM

they weren’t spoken to me either…just an observation. I learned somehting new today I guess

3. sasquash20 - Apr 3, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Goldschmidt and Davis are good young power hitters. Not a bad auto draft with those 2

• l0yalr0yal - Apr 3, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Sorry. I will punch my own face off.

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 3, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Hahaha! Your killin’ me K.C.!
        “How am I supposed to know about unspoken rules if they’ve never been spoken to me!?”
        “Sorry. I will punch my own face off.”
        Great stuff man.

4. ezthinking - Apr 3, 2012 at 1:55 PM

WS will take second place this year in the Central. The Indians and Royals have brutal rotations and questionable bullpens. If Dunn and Rios only remotely approach their career averages, 2nd is a sure thing.

5. detroitcityryda - Apr 3, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Cant wait to see mu tiges smash the white
    Sucks at south side get ready for a very very long season it’s our time bichessss

• l0yalr0yal - Apr 3, 2012 at 4:57 PM

It is really, really sad to see what the Detroit school district has become.

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (3507)