Apr 3, 2012, 12:16 PM EDT
Adam Dunn was as bad as a previously excellent hitter could possibly be last season, batting .159 while moving down the lineup and then eventually to the bench, but new White Sox manager Robin Ventura is wiping the slate clean.
Not only is Ventura committed to playing Dunn every day, he’ll begin the season batting third in the White Sox’s lineup.
Obviously if Dunn performs anything like he did last season he has no business being anywhere near the middle of the lineup, but Ventura correctly noted that if Dunn turns things around his skill set is a good fit in the No. 3 spot:
He gets on base a lot. Even though he might strike out a little bit, he does walk a lot. To me, that’s a good thing in front of Paul [Konerko].
And he’s absolutely right, as Dunn has a .374 career on-base percentage and has gotten 13 percent of his career playing time as a No. 3 hitter, although it won’t matter if he doesn’t get back on track in a big way. He’s hit .255 with a .415 on-base percentage and .569 slugging percentage this spring, which is exactly what Dunn’s numbers look like when he’s playing well.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 76
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)