Apr 3, 2012, 1:43 PM EDT
Toronto let Cecil pick between going to Triple-A or Double-A and he opted for the lower level because Triple-A affiliate Las Vegas is an extremely hitter-friendly environment.
Cecil also didn’t put up much of a fight, telling John Lott of the National Post:
I really gave them no choice. I really didn’t help myself out any. I’ve had a month to figure it out. Any pitcher should be able to figure it out then. Some take a little bit longer, like I have. I’m not disappointed at anything at this point.
Cecil came into camp in The Best Shape Of His Life, shedding 40 pounds during the offseason, but struggled with his mechanics while allowing 14 runs in 17 innings. He was also a mess down the stretch last season, going 0-7 with a 5.16 ERA in August and September.
Even with that ugly stretch included Cecil has a 4.64 ERA in 390 career innings, is still young, and isn’t even arbitration eligible yet, so he’ll be back in the majors soon enough. In the meantime the Blue Jays will go with Henderson Alvarez, Kyle Drabek, and Joel Carreno in the rotation behind Ricky Romero and Brandon Morrow.
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (104)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)