Apr 3, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
Lost in any optimism about manager Ozzie Guillen being able to keep Carlos Zambrano‘s freakouts to a minimum with the Marlins this season is that the right-hander simply doesn’t throw as hard as he used to and still can’t consistently get the ball over the plate with the diminished raw stuff.
Zambrano walked seven batters yesterday, giving him 21 total walks in 21.2 innings this spring, and his ERA stands at 6.23.
Now, in fairness spring training numbers are somewhere between worthless and marginally useful, but given how Zambrano’s performance has declined in recent years whatever miracles Guillen can work on him as a person can only pay off so much if he’s throwing in the high-90s and walking everyone.
Zambrano has averaged 4.1 walks per nine innings for his career, but made up for that terrible control by typically striking out more than 8.0 per nine innings and limiting homers. However, last season his strikeouts fell to a career-low 6.2 per nine innings, his homers allowed rose to a career-high 1.2 per nine innings, and his average fastball clocked in at 90.2 miles per hour. In other words, Zambrano’s personality and behavior are only part of the problem at this point.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 43
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 43
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 141
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (143)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)