Apr 3, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT
Don Mattingly was really, really good for the latter half of the 80s. After that, it all went downhill … Like Mattingly, Utley’s reign lasted six years, from 2005 to 2010, when he hit .298/.388/.523 with 162 homers and 572 RBIs in 869 games.
Treyhorn notes in an extended assessment of each of their careers that Utley is much older than Mattingly was when his injury-induced slide began, but the parallels are pretty striking otherwise. As are the likely Hall of Fame implications.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)