Apr 3, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT
Don Mattingly was really, really good for the latter half of the 80s. After that, it all went downhill … Like Mattingly, Utley’s reign lasted six years, from 2005 to 2010, when he hit .298/.388/.523 with 162 homers and 572 RBIs in 869 games.
Treyhorn notes in an extended assessment of each of their careers that Utley is much older than Mattingly was when his injury-induced slide began, but the parallels are pretty striking otherwise. As are the likely Hall of Fame implications.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (93)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (89)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (86)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (82)