Apr 3, 2012, 7:16 PM EST
The Braves got down to 25 players Monday, demoting pitchers Cory Gearrin and Julio Teheran to Triple-A as part of their cuts. Left as the 12th pitcher on the staff was Yohan Flande, who appeared all set to make his major league debut after spending six years in the minors.
Then came the bad news today: Atlanta signed Nationals castoff Chad Durbin to a major league contract. Flande is on his way back to Triple-A after all.
Flande, 26, entered camp as a big long shot to make the team, but he allowed just three runs — one earned — and eight hits in 12 1/3 innings for the spring. He had a 4.01 ERA in 19 starts and 14 relief appearances for Triple-A Gwinnett last year.
Durbin, 34, was cut by the Nats after allowing eight runs — four earned — and 21 hits in 15 1/3 innings this spring. He was a member of Cleveland’s pen last season and had a 5.53 ERA in 68 1/3 innings.
Their recent changes leaves the Braves pitching staff skewing quite a bit older than expected. Durbin and fellow new acquisition Livan Hernandez will both work in middle relief, giving the team veteran fallbacks in case Randall Delgado or any of their other starters struggle early on.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)