Apr 3, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
Kyle Farnsworth, who took time off late last season because of an elbow injury, is once again experiencing elbow soreness in Rays camp.
Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times reports that his status for Opening Day is in question, although for now the Rays are awaiting test results for a clearer picture of his return timetable.
Farnsworth saved 25 games with a 2.18 ERA and 51/12 K/BB ratio in 58 innings for the Rays and is slated to be the full-time closer after Tampa Bay exercised its $3.3 million option this offseason. Top setup man Joel Peralta is seemingly the obvious fill-in choice, although Fernando Rodney has the most closing experience in the bullpen.
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 38
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 10
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 61
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 78
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)