Apr 3, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
Kyle Farnsworth, who took time off late last season because of an elbow injury, is once again experiencing elbow soreness in Rays camp.
Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times reports that his status for Opening Day is in question, although for now the Rays are awaiting test results for a clearer picture of his return timetable.
Farnsworth saved 25 games with a 2.18 ERA and 51/12 K/BB ratio in 58 innings for the Rays and is slated to be the full-time closer after Tampa Bay exercised its $3.3 million option this offseason. Top setup man Joel Peralta is seemingly the obvious fill-in choice, although Fernando Rodney has the most closing experience in the bullpen.
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 15
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59