Apr 3, 2012, 8:35 PM EDT
From FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal comes word that the Rangers are talking about a six-year contract extension with second baseman Ian Kinsler. But an agreement is not closer because the two sides are differing on what the annual value of the contract should be. Rosenthal explains:
The Rangers, sources say, are willing to give Kinsler a salary higher than Dan Uggla’s record average for a second baseman, $12.4 million. But the team probably does not want to go far above that figure, which is where [Robinson] Cano enters the equation.
The Yankees exercised Cano’s $14 million option for this season and hold a $15 million option on him for 2013. His next deal, whether achieved in an extension or through free agency, figures to be at a much higher number.
Kinsler is locked in at $7 million this season and carries a $10 million club option for 2013. If the two sides can find a common ground before Opening Day, that option year would simply be engulfed by the new six-year extension. But Kinsler and his agent may want to assume the risk and sit tight until next winter, when the Yankees are pushed a little closer toward making a decision about Cano’s future.
Kinsler, 29, batted .255/.355/.477 with 32 home runs, 77 RBI and 30 stolen bases last year for Texas.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 16
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 45
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 91
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)