Apr 3, 2012, 8:35 PM EST
From FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal comes word that the Rangers are talking about a six-year contract extension with second baseman Ian Kinsler. But an agreement is not closer because the two sides are differing on what the annual value of the contract should be. Rosenthal explains:
The Rangers, sources say, are willing to give Kinsler a salary higher than Dan Uggla’s record average for a second baseman, $12.4 million. But the team probably does not want to go far above that figure, which is where [Robinson] Cano enters the equation.
The Yankees exercised Cano’s $14 million option for this season and hold a $15 million option on him for 2013. His next deal, whether achieved in an extension or through free agency, figures to be at a much higher number.
Kinsler is locked in at $7 million this season and carries a $10 million club option for 2013. If the two sides can find a common ground before Opening Day, that option year would simply be engulfed by the new six-year extension. But Kinsler and his agent may want to assume the risk and sit tight until next winter, when the Yankees are pushed a little closer toward making a decision about Cano’s future.
Kinsler, 29, batted .255/.355/.477 with 32 home runs, 77 RBI and 30 stolen bases last year for Texas.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)