Apr 3, 2012, 8:35 PM EST
From FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal comes word that the Rangers are talking about a six-year contract extension with second baseman Ian Kinsler. But an agreement is not closer because the two sides are differing on what the annual value of the contract should be. Rosenthal explains:
The Rangers, sources say, are willing to give Kinsler a salary higher than Dan Uggla’s record average for a second baseman, $12.4 million. But the team probably does not want to go far above that figure, which is where [Robinson] Cano enters the equation.
The Yankees exercised Cano’s $14 million option for this season and hold a $15 million option on him for 2013. His next deal, whether achieved in an extension or through free agency, figures to be at a much higher number.
Kinsler is locked in at $7 million this season and carries a $10 million club option for 2013. If the two sides can find a common ground before Opening Day, that option year would simply be engulfed by the new six-year extension. But Kinsler and his agent may want to assume the risk and sit tight until next winter, when the Yankees are pushed a little closer toward making a decision about Cano’s future.
Kinsler, 29, batted .255/.355/.477 with 32 home runs, 77 RBI and 30 stolen bases last year for Texas.
- UPDATE: Mariners planning to offer nine years, $225 million to Robinson Cano 16
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (135)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (98)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (86)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (80)