Apr 3, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT
The Mets have sold out every home opener since 1997, but they are at risk of not doing so this year. From the New York Post:
According to the team’s executive vice president of business operations, Dave Howard, “several thousand” tickets are still available for Opening Day against the Braves … For the Mets to get their sellout, Howard indicated solid sales would be needed over the next two days coupled with a Thursday walkup of anywhere from 2,000 to 4,000 fans.
Howard says it’s actually the cheap seats, not the $180+ a pop premium tickets, that are selling the slowest. Seems like articles like this one being run in the Post along with a decent weather reports — it looks to be sunny but a tad cool on Thursday — will spur walkups.
In other ticket news, Buster Olney has a big breakdown of the highest and lowest ticket prices for various team’s Opening Day on the secondary market right now:
Top five teams with the lowest home average ticket price:
Top five teams with the highest Opening Day ticket price:
Red Sox: $305.58
That’s the top-end and low-end. The Brewers actually surprise me. I’d figure that would be a tougher ticket, driving prices up on Stubhub or what have you.
Anyway, if you want some cheap Opening Day tickets, head to Queens. Sounds like they can be had.
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 5
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 58
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 46
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 21
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (248)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)