The Marlins new ballpark has all kinds of fun toys

Apr 3, 2012, 2:02 PM EDT

Marlins Miami new logo

Really looking forward to the Marlins’ new ballpark, guys.  We’ll get to see it tomorrow night for Opening Night against the Cardinals.  For now, however, here’s a look at some of the stuff fans won’t notice.

Stuff like batting cages right near the dugout and a state-of-the-art video room nearby as well. And in it: a batter’s box next to a giant video screen where batters can get their timing down against life size video of the opposition. Just really neat.  Almost as neat as the design flourishes of the ballpark itself.

Assuming, of course, it is a ballpark.

1. lyon810 - Apr 3, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Sounds like Jeremy Freedman from The Simpsons, 30 years into the future

2. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Apr 3, 2012 at 2:23 PM

aka Dull Billy.

“We’re going to sell him to Mr. Nikopopolous?”

3. Old Gator - Apr 3, 2012 at 2:25 PM

I sat in it and watched a baseball game on Sunday. I can confirm that it IS a ballpark. Tommy was kept silent, unfortunately, until tomorrow. I’m going back on Friday…with my lawyer, would you believe? So that’d be two out of three times I visited the place in the company of an Esquire, more or less.

You remember, Craig, how we navigated those local streets and contemplated what a traffic fiasco it could be?

When people show up – eeeyep. I wasn’t crazy enough to try to pass the stadium westbound to get to the 27th Avenue loop ramp to go westbound so I don’t know yet if that will be as crazy it I think it will. However, the on ramp to the eastbound Dolfeen Expressway from 17th Avenue moves s-l-o-w-l-y. It’s more like plate tectonics than traffic. And then you get all that traffic trying to cut over four lanes to the northbound entrance to I-95 within about a half-mile….ugly.

4. cur68 - Apr 3, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Did you say “traffic trying to cut over four lanes to the northbound entrance to I-95 within about a half-mile”??? Factoring traffic to a sporting event into this = 10 car pileup, IMO. Dang man, what were they thinking?

• CJ - Apr 3, 2012 at 2:56 PM

have you ever driven in Florida? It’d be at least a 30 car pileup.

• Old Gator - Apr 3, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Thinking has nothing to do with it. It’s just the rotten design of the I-95/SR 836 interchange. You enter eastbound from 17th Avenue on the right side of the 836 expressway and have about a half to three quarters of a mile or so (it sounds like further than it is too) to get all the way across it to the other side of the road for the lefthand exit ramp to I-95 going north. The left lane is often backed up for a mile anyway due to the volume of traffic that uses it and the narrowness of the ramp, which is only one lane wide when it should be at least two.

I predict that people are going to die because of this.

• cur68 - Apr 3, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Hell, bro, that’s awful. No way you could walk to games is there?

• Old Gator - Apr 3, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Sure I could, if I were John Muir.

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (3946)