Apr 3, 2012, 3:31 PM EDT
Jorge Vazquez is a 30 year-old who played in the Mexican League for years and has never sniffed the majors. But because he hit 32 home runs at Scranton last year, a lot of Yankees fans thought he might be a good fit for New York’s DH slot since it was in flux and all.
Not to be: the Yankees just released him.
Sad jams if you’re into that kind of power, but given his age and the fact that those bombs came with a mere .314 OBP in AAA, it was probably crazy to think he was part of the solution, even if he was kind of fun to think about.
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 3
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 10
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 88
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)