Apr 3, 2012, 3:31 PM EST
Jorge Vazquez is a 30 year-old who played in the Mexican League for years and has never sniffed the majors. But because he hit 32 home runs at Scranton last year, a lot of Yankees fans thought he might be a good fit for New York’s DH slot since it was in flux and all.
Not to be: the Yankees just released him.
Sad jams if you’re into that kind of power, but given his age and the fact that those bombs came with a mere .314 OBP in AAA, it was probably crazy to think he was part of the solution, even if he was kind of fun to think about.
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 30
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 37
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 27
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 35
- Media paying for athlete interviews? Not likely. But watch this stuff closely anyway. 20
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)