Apr 3, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
Because the DL stint is backdated he’ll be eligible to return on April 14 and Inge told Jason Beck of MLB.com that he expects to be ready by then, although it’s worth noting that he previously said he expected to be ready for Opening Day too.
Miguel Cabrera‘s move to third base pushed Inge into a competition with Ryan Raburn and Ramon Santiago at second base and his defense there drew positive reviews, but as usual he struggled to hit and was not in line for regular starts to begin the season.
Beck notes that the Tigers could eventually send him back to Triple-A, as they did last season, because there’s never any danger of another team claiming the 34-year-old Inge and his $5.5 million salary off waivers.
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 43
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 33
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (103)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)