Apr 3, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
Because the DL stint is backdated he’ll be eligible to return on April 14 and Inge told Jason Beck of MLB.com that he expects to be ready by then, although it’s worth noting that he previously said he expected to be ready for Opening Day too.
Miguel Cabrera‘s move to third base pushed Inge into a competition with Ryan Raburn and Ramon Santiago at second base and his defense there drew positive reviews, but as usual he struggled to hit and was not in line for regular starts to begin the season.
Beck notes that the Tigers could eventually send him back to Triple-A, as they did last season, because there’s never any danger of another team claiming the 34-year-old Inge and his $5.5 million salary off waivers.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 17
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 25
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 103
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8