Apr 3, 2012, 4:16 PM EDT
Ubaldo Jimenez has filed an appeal of his five-game suspension for hitting Troy Tulowitzki on Sunday, which is no surprise after the Indians right-hander insisted that he didn’t hit his former Rockies teammate on purpose.
Jimenez was scheduled to start the Indians’ second game of the season, but would have to be pushed back to at least the sixth game if the suspension is upheld.
Rockies manager Jim Tracy called Jimenez hitting Tulowitzki “the most gutless act I have seen in 35 years of professional baseball.”
Jimenez repeatedly said that he didn’t intend to hit Tulowitzki, explaining that “people act like this is the first time that somebody got hit … it happens all the time” and explaining that his control during Sunday’s game “was everywhere” with five walks before the hit by pitch.
Jimenez was not ejected from the game despite the benches clearing. Tulowitzki underwent X-rays, but they came back negative and he’s day-to-day with a bruised elbow.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (127)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (99)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (98)