Video: Jamie Moyer on the “Today” show with Matt Lauer

Apr 3, 2012, 4:49 PM EDT

Fresh off coming back from Tommy John elbow surgery to grab a spot in the Rockies’ rotation 49-year-old Jamie Moyer talked to Matt Lauer on the “Today” show:

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!

1. shawnuel - Apr 3, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Moyer is a flat out stud. Another super high character guy, like R.A. Dickey. Not a bad baseball player either.

2. crispybasil - Apr 3, 2012 at 5:00 PM

I had never heard Moyer speak before now. He’s even classier than I thought.

3. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Apr 3, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Don’t ever stop, Jamie. You’re an inspiration and you make the game so much better with all you’ve overcome, and how long you’ve lasted. I’m rooting for you bigtime!!!

4. Utley's Hair - Apr 3, 2012 at 6:22 PM

As I said, I’d have no problem with my kids emulating Jamie Moyer. Let’s see a 20-win season—just not against the Phightins.

5. aceshigh11 - Apr 3, 2012 at 6:54 PM

I can’t tell you how much I love this guy. I’m only 33 but thinking about him makes me work out harder just by his example. No joke.

6. cur68 - Apr 4, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Impression: Jamie Moyer has Andre the Giant Hands. Those things are ENORMOUS. Look like 2 frying pans on broomsticks. He’s in wicked-good shape: see the muscles in his neck? He’s honest about who he is: this is ego-less pitching ladies an gents. “Not a lot of fire, but hopefully I can still get guys out”. Nice.

My friend jwbiii put this out there a while back and I feel it’s worthwhile putting this out there again:

Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
    Because their words had forked no lightning they
    Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
    Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
    And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,
    Do not go gentle into that good night.

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
    Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
    Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.
    Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

-Dylan Thomas, pub. 1951

Good luck, Mr. Moyer.

• Utley's Hair - Apr 4, 2012 at 2:34 AM

And to think: Moyer was born not TOO much later than Thomas’ piece up there.

7. Jonny 5 - Apr 4, 2012 at 8:50 AM

How very gentlemanly of him to remove his Fedora before addressing the media..

8. Francisco (FC) - Apr 4, 2012 at 9:02 AM

One day Moyer is going to be an awesome pitching coach… when he retires from pitching at age 65…

• Utley's Hair - Apr 4, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Hopefully he comes back to his roots to pass on that ocean of knowledge he has accumulated.

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (3015)