And now your HardballTalk writer predictions

Apr 4, 2012, 8:40 AM EST

Oracle of Delphi

We’re so wrong about these things all the time I’m not even sure why we do them. Yet … we do them.

All I ask is that when you all accuse us of hating the Phillies, you remember that this post is floating around the archives, with all four of us picking them to win the NL East.

Craig

AL Wild Card: Angels

NL East: Phillies
NL Central: Cardinals
NL West: Diamondbacks
NL Wild Card: Reds
NL Wild Card: Nationals

For what it’s worth, Drew has the bonus prediction of the Phillies beating the Rays in the World Series.  Also for what it’s worth, I am really torn on the wild card choices, as it could be close to a tossup between the Red Sox and Rays. And frankly, the Giants and the Reds have a great chance too.  This stuff is kind of a crapshoot.

1. dlindstedt2 - Apr 4, 2012 at 8:44 AM

I can’t wait to see the Cards fall on their faces this year without Pujols and all the writers can get off whatever the hell they are smoking.

Carp is getting older, Wainwright is coming off TJ, no Pujols. No La Russa. You add an aging Beltran that clearly his better years are behind him. Berkman isn’t anything close to Pujols. I just dont see what you guys see.

• antlerclaws - Apr 4, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Yeah, I pick St Louis to come in 3rd, behind 1st Place Reds and 2nd Place Brewers. Other than that, I’m pretty much with the writers, except the one who picked Giants over Diamondbacks.

• phillyphreak - Apr 4, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Glad to see that you like competitive baseball.

• joshfrancis50 - Apr 4, 2012 at 9:08 AM

I don’t know. Everything you mention above could be correct but that could still be enough. What I don’t understand is everyone’s love affair with David Freese. I don’t get it. You want to rely on the veterans to carry the day, I’ll grant you a pass, but when I see people hang their hat on how David Freese is going to be awesome, well, I don’t know.

• paperlions - Apr 4, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Freese is an above average 3B, in a lineup with Beltran, Berkman, Holliday, and Craig….he’s a hell of a good 5th best hitter. Freese is indicative of the depth of the Cardinals lineup.

I have not seen a single person “hang their hat” on Freese. People love him because he was the WS hero, not because they think he’s going to carry the team.

• joshfrancis50 - Apr 4, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Fair enough. I get the WS hoopla totally, but I feel like I keep hearing (from fans, mostly, which…you know) he’s going to be one of the better 3B in the league. I’m not a Cards fan and thus don’t watch them unless they play the Reds, so I may be misinformed and maybe he is the balls. I just don’t buy it yet.

Looking forward to a fun season though.

• paperlions - Apr 4, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Well, he probably will be one of the better 3B in the league if he stays healthy…there just are not very many good 3B these days. If he had played all season last year, he probably would have been a top 5 or 6 3B in the majors….but that says just as much about the lack of depth at the position as it does about Freese. I think most people expect him to be an above average player for a few years, with decent OBP and little power and some inconsistent fielding (he is great at following up a great play by booting an easy one).

• spudchukar - Apr 4, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Freese’s rise to elite 3B status, has only been hindered by injuries. And they have been more of the freak variety, car accident, HBP, which may be more of an instance of bad luck than fragile body. His RBI per opportunities is off the charts. His power is to right/right center, which allows him to wait on the ball longer, making him a tougher out, and a good 2 strike hitter.

Granted he has only had 2 MLB seasons and in both he only played 2/3 of the time. But he has also never failed to produce. No guarantees here, but so far he has always been very, very good.

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 4, 2012 at 12:43 PM

50: Most recently…the accolades are coming as a direct result of him winning the MVP in both the NLCS and WS. But I have several buddies who are Redlegs fans such as yourself and they absolutely love the guy as well. A lot of that comes from us taking in at least 5 games a year in Cincinnati when the Cardinals are in town (along with me singing his praises to the point of my buddies now paying attention. For the last two years they have openly stated they would love to have him as their 3rd Baseman.
        It’s okay Man. You can like him and not be a traitor. I like Cozart!

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 4, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Hahaha! Keep on hating hater. Essentially the entire team back to go along with Waino’s 6.1 WAR. I know it gets old having to compete with the Cardinals on a year in…year out basis.
      But at least be somewhat intelligient about your smack talk.

• Kevin S. - Apr 4, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Essentially the entire team… minus arguably the greatest player in baseball history.

2. kp20520 - Apr 4, 2012 at 8:46 AM

All of you are fired if the AL isn’t the Yankees, tigers, rangers, angles and rays!

• yankeesgameday - Apr 4, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Wait: is that the oracle of Delphi from some grecian urn in that picture? Cause you’re being all prognosisticating?

3. Jonny 5 - Apr 4, 2012 at 8:47 AM

So Drew is looking forward to the most 1-0 games in a world series ever? It ain’t like it was in 08′ sure enough.

• cur68 - Apr 4, 2012 at 8:51 AM

Notice no one picked the Blue Jays. They will regret that.
      *-he muttered under his breath as he updated his manifesto by scribbling furiously in his little journal*

• stex52 - Apr 4, 2012 at 8:55 AM

I’m hoping we have some Blue Jays or Nationals or Royals or Reds come in just to shake up these writer’s complacency and keep the season interesting.

• cur68 - Apr 4, 2012 at 9:00 AM

I think it’ll be pretty interesting this season. New play off format and big name shake ups from last season will see to it.

• proudlycanadian - Apr 4, 2012 at 9:27 AM

I prefer being under rated. These guys have placed a curse on the Phillies by picking them.

• davebrownspiral - Apr 4, 2012 at 9:41 AM

I like the Jays also, but unless Morrow pitches consistently up to his potential, they don’t have the starting pitching to compete in that division. I think if everything breaks right, Jays could be in the mix for a wild-card spot late in the season.

• 24missed - Apr 4, 2012 at 1:41 PM

I noticed no one picked the Blue Jays.

They’ll be fine, until the RS shove it down their face! Baby, I mean that in that in the most bittersweet way possible.

• cur68 - Apr 4, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Aww, My Lil Tea Cozy, you’re so cute when you boil hard over the Sox maybe beating the Lords of all Beaver Land. Looks like April 9 – 11th we get to see who’s team is better when the Sox gets bounced by the Beaver Wrestlers, eh?

S’cool, baby. I been practicing my back patting and hand holding for when the pummeling happens. I shall be a pillar of Ble Jay support for you to lean upon.

Let make it date, shall we? We can meet on the HBT post that best reflects the game and discuss the trouncing as it unfolds.

Meantime, Ive been extolling your culinary virtues over on the latest steroid post. Check it out: I quote the Flaming Lips for you.

4. uyf1950 - Apr 4, 2012 at 8:49 AM

You gentlemen are wise beyond your years. For what it’s worth Drew sees a repeat of the 2008 World Series. Actually it will be a repeat of the 2009 World Series in 2012.

• Jonny 5 - Apr 4, 2012 at 8:51 AM

Why you…. I oughta….

• uyf1950 - Apr 4, 2012 at 8:55 AM

I thought you might enjoy that comment.

• Jonny 5 - Apr 4, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Yeah well your guys won’t have old man Pedro coughing up lungies on the mound to pick on this time if such a replay was to happen. Roy, Cliffy, And Cole. Maybe some Vanimal for seasoning.

I do enjoy it actually UYF. Let the games begin!

• uyf1950 - Apr 4, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Jonny 5 – Now your starting to sound like a Red Sox fans, excuses, excuses, excuses.

Just kidding. I would enjoy a rematch though I would be fun to watch.

• yankeesfanlen - Apr 4, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Certainly the Universe is headed toward #28. Alas and alack, poor Jonny, the Phightens will be there to put up a resistance, or possibly an annoyance.

5. stex52 - Apr 4, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Unanimous in the choice of AL top five. How boring. I hope that the NL is a little more exciting, as your picks seem to indicate.

And I hope there is a surprise in the AL, just to keep things interesting.

6. drunkenhooliganism - Apr 4, 2012 at 8:57 AM

From this I’m guessing that the two wild card teams cant come from the same division. Is that true?

• paperlions - Apr 4, 2012 at 11:06 AM

They can, it just isn’t likely.

7. brewcrewfan54 - Apr 4, 2012 at 8:59 AM

The obligatory preseason predictions. Every magazine, website, tv show etc. have to make them. Nice easy way to kill 30 minutes of tv time or get some cheap written content. Obviously nobody can see the future but For funs sake maybe an employer should dock some pay from experts who end up being way wrong with their picks.

8. Kevin S. - Apr 4, 2012 at 9:03 AM

Was Matthew in time-out or something that prevented him from registering his picks?

9. Gobias Industries - Apr 4, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Oh no. Is it time for the annual predictions posts already? This is when the comments REALLY get ridiculous. Fine, but if you’re going to make crazy comments, at least use my convenient “I’m appalled that you didn’t pick my favorite team to win the World Series” template below:

“LOL, these so called “experts” know nothing . There really going too say the [insert name of most-hated team here even though they’re awesome and you’re too stupid to realize it] are going too win it??! hahahahahahaha. fail!!!!! what about the [insert name of favorite team here even though they’re horrible and you’re too stupid to realize it]?!!!!1!1! WE GET NO RESPECT! NOBODY BELIEFS IN US! WERE GOING TO SHOCK THE WORLD!!!1!1!! SUK IT LOOSERS!!!1

LIMP BIZKIT RULEZ!”

• brewcrewfan54 - Apr 4, 2012 at 9:08 AM

Limp Bizkit does not rule.

• brewcrewfan54 - Apr 4, 2012 at 9:09 AM

I know it. You know it. And Fred Durst knows it.

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 4, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Although I ALSO do it all for the nookie…Limp Bizkit most certainly does NOT rule.
        As Brewcrew states…them NOT ruling is very well known.

• cur68 - Apr 4, 2012 at 9:09 AM

You just edited up, cut and pasted ‘urteamsux52’s standard post, didn’t you? Either that or YOU’RE urteamsux52. . .although I had him as more of a Slipknot fan than ‘Bizket’. . .still, nice template. I shall use it in the future, ’cause it is awesome.

• thetruth1313 - Apr 4, 2012 at 9:46 AM

And what is exactly wrong with Slipknot????

• cur68 - Apr 4, 2012 at 9:55 AM

er..nothing? They “rulez”…and..er…stuff. Yeah. Rulez…or something.

10. phillyphreak - Apr 4, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Wait. You’re telling us that you can’t predict the future? Some experts….

11. drmonkeyarmy - Apr 4, 2012 at 9:07 AM

I think these predictions suck. The Phillies will win every game by double digits and every other team in baseball will go win less. The correction prediction is that the Selig will cancel the playoffs and just name the Phillies All-Time Champions of the Universe because of the sheer dominance displayed.

• brewcrewfan54 - Apr 4, 2012 at 9:12 AM

I don’t know why, but I believe you.

• drmonkeyarmy - Apr 4, 2012 at 9:13 AM

It must be my perfectly logical reasoning.

• Jonny 5 - Apr 4, 2012 at 9:36 AM

I sense a disturbance in the force…….

• cur68 - Apr 4, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Darth Vader breaking wind, FTW. At what age do fart jokes cease to be amusing, ’cause clearly middle age isn’t that age.

• Jonny 5 - Apr 4, 2012 at 12:35 PM

NEVER!

12. sdelmonte - Apr 4, 2012 at 9:10 AM

I haven’t seen a single prediction say anything but the Tigers in the Central. That sort of unanimity makes me want to place a bet on the field, just because I never trust unanimity.

So I am going to be the first to predict a stunning and improbable division championship by the Indians. Even if I don’t actually believe it myself.

• Utley's Hair - Apr 4, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Mets take the AL Central!!!

• sdelmonte - Apr 4, 2012 at 10:07 AM

I have my limits to how outlandish I am willing to get.

The Mets could win the NBA Atlantic, though.

13. phukyouk - Apr 4, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Craig – there seems to be yet another typo… you put down TWO Wild Cards for each league..

• somekat - Apr 4, 2012 at 10:12 AM

new rules, 2 wild cards in each league, one game playoff to advance

• phukyouk - Apr 4, 2012 at 10:46 AM

SARCASM FONT NEEDED!

14. sonoco - Apr 4, 2012 at 9:43 AM

The Giants will win the NL West! Their pitching will be a solid as it ALWAYS is and their offense WILL NOT be historically bad two years in a row. They’re pi$$ed that some think 2010 was a fluke and are on a mission.

15. yankeesgameday - Apr 4, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Thisiss truly the most boring year for the American League. The top five teams are exactly as you listed them and even though some other teams may go on runs after 162 games it will look exactly like you have it. For the first time I can remember every division is locked up at the 1 and 2 spots.the only drama will come from trying to avoid that play in game, but really that isn’t much drama at all.

Go Yanks (but really it’s the Tiger’s year).

16. kopy - Apr 4, 2012 at 9:59 AM

LOL, these so called “experts” know nothing . There really going too say the Yankees are going too win it??! hahahahahahaha. fail!!!!! what about the Twins1!1! WE GET NO RESPECT! NOBODY BELIEFS IN US! WERE GOING TO SHOCK THE WORLD!!!1!1!! SUK IT LOOSERS!!!1

LIMP BIZKIT RULEZ!

• yankeesfanlen - Apr 4, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Yeah, whatever THAT is. And I thought all the beer was in neighboring Wisconsin.

• kopy - Apr 4, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Well, it’s not that all the beer is there. Wisconsin is just the only of the other 49 states with more.

• brewcrewfan54 - Apr 4, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Yeah we like beer here. We like it a lot.

• cur68 - Apr 4, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Does Gobias have copyright on that? I hope not. I’m gonna use it next time Craig, Drew, Aaron, or Mathew claim the Jay’s haven’t got a prayer. IOW, I call dibs on the template.

17. thinman61 - Apr 4, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Red Sox fans laugh at your predictions, set out to prove them wrong.

Play ball!

18. lukeslice - Apr 4, 2012 at 12:17 PM

You guys REALLY went out on a limb in the AL … some real game-changing picks there.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (3935)
  2. J. Kang (3381)
  3. J. Upton (2908)
  4. C. McGehee (2851)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2823)
  1. M. Kemp (2768)