Apr 4, 2012, 6:00 PM EDT
Curt Schilling went off a couple of weeks ago about how Bobby Valentine wasn’t the right fit for the Red Sox. That caused Josh Beckett to slam Schilling. And now Bobby V. himself has taken to WEEI radio and has taken a shot at Schilling:
“I never saw them, I heard about them and I basically think it’s irrelevant,” Valentine said. ”Because it’s something about something he’s knows nothing about, obviously. He never played for me, he’s never been in uniform for me and he hasn’t been in the clubhouse during the spring. … Don’t make stuff up.”
Valentine then added that he thought Schilling was trying to stick up for Terry Francona because “he’s Tito’s guy.”
Two thoughts: First, it’s a lot of fun to see people stick it to Curt Schilling. Second: this is one of those instances, however, where if Valentine says nothing or mouths empty cliches, it all dies. By saying something interesting, however, it ensures the “I didn’t make anything up” response from Schilling or some other kind of perpetuation of this non-story.
So, yes, you said your peace, Bobby, but you might not be doing a good job to defuse controversy. And the whole reason you have this job is because there was too much controversy floating around.
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3