Apr 4, 2012, 6:00 PM EDT
Curt Schilling went off a couple of weeks ago about how Bobby Valentine wasn’t the right fit for the Red Sox. That caused Josh Beckett to slam Schilling. And now Bobby V. himself has taken to WEEI radio and has taken a shot at Schilling:
“I never saw them, I heard about them and I basically think it’s irrelevant,” Valentine said. ”Because it’s something about something he’s knows nothing about, obviously. He never played for me, he’s never been in uniform for me and he hasn’t been in the clubhouse during the spring. … Don’t make stuff up.”
Valentine then added that he thought Schilling was trying to stick up for Terry Francona because “he’s Tito’s guy.”
Two thoughts: First, it’s a lot of fun to see people stick it to Curt Schilling. Second: this is one of those instances, however, where if Valentine says nothing or mouths empty cliches, it all dies. By saying something interesting, however, it ensures the “I didn’t make anything up” response from Schilling or some other kind of perpetuation of this non-story.
So, yes, you said your peace, Bobby, but you might not be doing a good job to defuse controversy. And the whole reason you have this job is because there was too much controversy floating around.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)