Apr 4, 2012, 3:30 PM EDT
It seemed crazy that Brandon Belt wouldn’t make the Giants roster, but for a while there during spring training it seemed like a possibility. Aubrey Huff and Brent Pill were getting a lot of starts at first base and the Giants fan base was rather freaking out.
Today Bruce Bochy let ‘em off the hook. Belt has made the team and, what’s more, Bochy made some noises about him being the starting first baseman.
As I’ve said previously, the Giants offense stinks. For it to stink less and threaten respectability requires that Brandon Belt be allowed to play every day. Hopefully today’s move means that he will.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 4
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 11
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)