Apr 4, 2012, 4:00 PM EST
Last year, ESPN’s Steve Berthiaume famously picked the Houston Astros to win the NL Central. They then proceeded to lose 106 games. Missed it by thaaaaaat much.
Today Berthiaume explains the thought process behind the pick that caused him so much grief:
I had written a piece for this website in September of 2010 and felt obligated to remain consistent six months later despite the realization that a moment of bold optimism had deteriorated into a sinking ship. I naively thought, “Well what the heck, it’s just a harmless predictions list anyway, right?” BOOM!!!! Here’s a link.
Silly Steve Berthiaume. Thinking that consistency and intellectual honesty get one anywhere on the Internet.
But a nice move eating that crow anyway. Most of us just pretend we never made those bad predictions in the first place. It’s actually quite easy!
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 18
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 30
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 81
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 29
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 97
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)