Apr 4, 2012, 4:00 PM EST
Last year, ESPN’s Steve Berthiaume famously picked the Houston Astros to win the NL Central. They then proceeded to lose 106 games. Missed it by thaaaaaat much.
Today Berthiaume explains the thought process behind the pick that caused him so much grief:
I had written a piece for this website in September of 2010 and felt obligated to remain consistent six months later despite the realization that a moment of bold optimism had deteriorated into a sinking ship. I naively thought, “Well what the heck, it’s just a harmless predictions list anyway, right?” BOOM!!!! Here’s a link.
Silly Steve Berthiaume. Thinking that consistency and intellectual honesty get one anywhere on the Internet.
But a nice move eating that crow anyway. Most of us just pretend we never made those bad predictions in the first place. It’s actually quite easy!
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 23
- Media paying for athlete interviews? Not likely. But watch this stuff closely anyway. 18
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 12
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 65
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 82
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)