How uplifting: Fans love beanball wars

Apr 4, 2012, 4:32 PM EDT

Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim v Baltimore Orioles Getty Images

Via Baseball Musings, we learn of a study which is sad:

Researchers report “beaning” a member of the opposing team — deliberately hitting him with a pitch — is divorced in fans’ minds from the notion of moral responsibility.

In other words, the batter who received a nasty bruise — or worse — when he was hit by a retaliatory pitch didn’t really deserve it, in the minds of most fans. But a great many support beaning him regardless.

No word on what people thought when it was their team’s player, dammit, who got beaned.

1. bmorelikeme - Apr 4, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Sometimes someones gotta get beaned. It’s that simple.

• Chris K - Apr 4, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Bean the whales!

• schlom - Apr 4, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Gotta bean something.

2. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Apr 4, 2012 at 4:52 PM

I agree it’s just part of the game, but there’s a big difference between accepting that and loving it.

3. yankeesfanlen - Apr 4, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Where have you gone Roger Rocket, a nation turns it’s lonely eyes to you.

4. metalhead65 - Apr 4, 2012 at 5:45 PM

get over yourself craig,unlike steroids which you have no problem with beaning is part of the game. what the moron in cleveland did is not part of the game however and he deserved the punishment he got. unlike him however most people can tell when it is called for and when it’s not. there is a difference when a pitch gets away and when you are actually throwing at someone. I mean most intellegent people know that with 2 outs and 2 on you are not going to hit a guy on purpose with the other teams best hitter up next. but if you hit somebody because he hit a home off you then you have to expect your guy is going to get hit to. may not like it but it is part of the game.

• Lukehart80 - Apr 4, 2012 at 6:01 PM

“Most people can tell when it is called for and when it’s not.”

No they can’t.

• metalhead65 - Apr 4, 2012 at 6:42 PM

well then you are not a baseball fan if you can’t. it is pretty simple if you follow the game.

• paperlions - Apr 4, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Here is the official complete list of times when it is appropriate to throw a hard object at 90 mph at a person:

• spudchukar - Apr 5, 2012 at 7:58 AM

One 90 mph fastball to the noggin’, and your metalhead would sport a dent, and maybe knock some sense into it. The only time I could support such behavior.

• deadeyedesign23 - Apr 5, 2012 at 8:30 AM

Honestly I totally agree. Since the advent of batting helmets steroids have killed more Major Leagers than beaning. If you want to take some moral high ground then you have to come don on steroids too.

• Joe - Apr 5, 2012 at 9:11 AM

Wait a second, what major leaguer was killed by steroids?

• deadeyedesign23 - Apr 6, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Ken Caminiti

5. Tim OShenko - Apr 4, 2012 at 6:01 PM

I would assume that a big part of this is simply that the majority of fans (myself included) have never had a baseball hurled directly at them at 90+ mph, and thus have no idea how much it friggin’ hurts. So when we hear of someone getting plunked, unless it was a headshot, we shrug and say “so what, just walk it off.”

• spudchukar - Apr 5, 2012 at 8:01 AM

Exactly, reminds me of the typical sportscasters assessment of a violent hit in football, when they blither, “No big deal, just got the wind knocked out of him.”

6. oldpaddy - Apr 4, 2012 at 6:52 PM

I always like how Pedro did it, with a slow pitched fastball to the batters behind.

• schlom - Apr 4, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Except that’s not how Pedro did it. Pedro got ahead 0-2 and threw up and in.

7. metalhead65 - Apr 4, 2012 at 8:03 PM

I

• Lukehart80 - Apr 4, 2012 at 8:11 PM

This is the most intelligent comment you’ve made on this blog. Well done.

8. metalhead65 - Apr 4, 2012 at 8:06 PM

I bet if they came up with a sabermetric for it craig would not have a problem with it. wait they don’t have one for that yet do they?

9. spudchukar - Apr 5, 2012 at 7:55 AM

Anyone who promotes beanballs either hasn’t been plunked, or has been plunked and never quite recovered.

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 5, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Complete bullshit Spud. I have been beaned a few times.
      Each time it happened I smiled all the way to 1st base to “try” to illustrate to the pitcher that it wasn’t an issue.
      Then…in the dugout and (moreso AFTER the games)…I addressed (and resolved) this issue with OUR pitcher. These things have a way of working themselves out.
      Some people posting on this blog need to have mommy fix them a warm glass of milk.

• spudchukar - Apr 5, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Plunked and Beaned are not the same thing. Plus I am pretty sure I have suffered more HBP than you, and I never asked my pitcher to retaliate. I would steal second, third, and yes sometime even home. Then my next at bat I would try to retaliate with the lumber. Being struck by a 95 MPH baseball is painful, but not as painful as losing the game.

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 6, 2012 at 9:29 AM

You missunderstood Spud. The reason I got beaned EACH TIME was as a direct result of something OUR pitcher did. In other words…they were retaliating and I was the guy that got drilled. I had no problems with it. No problems with their pitcher that is. I smiled all he way to first base although it hurt like hell. Had our pitcher not been a complete dick it wouldn’t have happened in any instance. I “addressed it” with our pitcher in each case. It was resolved. As I said…these things have a way or working themselves out. I have only been beaned a few times. As for the specific number of times I have been hit in general…I didn’t realize we were having a competition. But I will say I played 4 years of college ball.
      Sooo…unless you played beyond that…I “win.” LOL!

10. stex52 - Apr 6, 2012 at 12:11 AM

If you like beaning, I have two words for you: Dickie Thon. I know he is only one example, but he will do.

If killing a man or ending a potential All Star career is your cup of tea, perhaps you would be a good fan of the New Orleans Saints.

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 6, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Suzy: Come on Man! Really? Where/when did I EVER say I “liked beaning?”
      Where did I EVER say “killing a man or ending a potential All Star career” is my “cup of tea?”
      This has been going on since the game was invented.
      This has always worked itself since the game was invented. See my examples above.
      As for the Saints…that has also been going on for quite sometime. It took Jeremy Shockey’s chump ass squealing about it for it to come to lite publicly.
      I was a 3 sport athlete in high school (Baseball, Football and Wrestling). In Football we received the Dog Bone as our “bounty.” YEP…bounty. If we drilled the other teams receivers, QB, running backs, etc… hard enough (we referred to them as a snot bubble hits) and they left the game. We received the dog bone that week.
      Carried it with us all day…the entire week…and it was a huge source of pride.
      Not much different thant the Saints really.
      Most of these comments lead me to believe that people were not participants in sports.
      Morever…they were spectators.
      Geesh…let’s all put on skirts, hold hands…and play ring around the freaking rosey.

Giants, Royals took unique paths to WS