Apr 4, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
Spilborghs signed a minor-league deal with the Indians after being non-tendered by the Rockies, but lost a camp battle with Aaron Cunningham to be the right-handed-hitting backup outfielder. He has 1,769 career plate appearances and is 32 years old, but Spilborghs has hit just .239 with a .679 OPS away from Coors Field for his career.
Pie was once a top prospect in the Cubs system, but couldn’t work his way into consistent playing time with the Orioles and had to settle for a minor-league deal with the Indians. He’s still just 27 years old and has a solid fourth outfielder skill set, but Pie has hit just .248 with a .673 OPS in 1,051 career plate appearances.
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 5
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 5
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 30
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)