Joey Votto’s deal includes a $20 million option for 2024

Apr 4, 2012, 7:23 PM EDT

Joey Votto Getty Images

The Cincinnati Enquirer’s John Fay has the breakdown of Joey Votto’s new 10-year, $225 million contract:

2014: $12 million
2015: $14 million
2016: $20 million
2017: $22 million
2018-23: $25 million per year
2024: $20 million team option with $7 million buyout

As reported, that’s $225 million in guaranteed money. On the off chance that the option is picked up — Votto will be 40 in 2024 — then the deal would be worth $238 million over 11 years.

The interesting thing is that Votto is actually taking a pretty substantial paycut in 2014-15. He’ll make $17 million in 2013 under the terms of his previous contract.

1. marshmallowsnake - Apr 4, 2012 at 7:32 PM

I wish I could get a pay cut to 12 Million…

2. brucewaynewins - Apr 4, 2012 at 9:09 PM

This potentially puts him on a super elite list of players to be drafted by the Reds and play their entire career with them. Johnny Bench and Barry Larkin are the only two modern players with decent career length I can think of.

3. firemarshal1 - Apr 4, 2012 at 9:14 PM

To Joey Votto, as a life time Reds fans I want to personally thank you for signing with the Cincinnati Reds. Currently, I live in South Florida, but I’m from the Cincinnati area. In four years, I plan to move back to my hometown of Cincinnati. The people are real, nice, and polite, not a bunch of jerks. Just good hard working and educated people. The Queen city, the original Queen city, has all the big city flare at a smaller scale with charm. Joey, I think fits your humble personality. The news media is respectful, not rude like in the New York market. I have tickets for the Cleveland Indians series in Cincinnati in June, and tickets in September to see you guys in Miami. Go Reds!

4. eagles512 - Apr 4, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Wow…great players but that’s a ridiculous contract.

5. stercuilus65 - Apr 5, 2012 at 3:01 AM

What a ridiculous contract. This will be weighing down the Reds long after Votto has started to decline.

6. watchfullhose - Apr 5, 2012 at 6:57 AM

No it won’t. The padres got a 50mil tv deal…THE PADRES. Cinci’s current tv deal is up in 2015…when his contract escalates.

7. bluesoxbaseball - Apr 5, 2012 at 8:40 AM

The Reds must be trying to sign Phillips to a three-year deal.

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (2958)