Josh Beckett says he’s fine, “dumbfounded”

Apr 4, 2012, 5:02 PM EST

Josh Beckett AP

Josh Beckett‘s flights around the country to get medical opinions on his thumb were tracked by the Red Sox press the way NORAD tracks Santa Claus on Christmas Eve.  Beckett says, however, that he’s “fine.”  And he adds that it’s much ado about nothing:

“I really have no idea how this got blown out like this. I was dumbfounded. The text messages and the e-mails I was getting from guys, I was like, what’s going on here? I think a lot of it had to do with Andrew Bailey also having injured his thumb. But he injured his thumb on one thing. Mine was something that’s happened over time.”

Chronic and degenerative is always better than quick and acute!

Just kidding. If he says he’s fine, he’s fine.  But don’t be surprised if his thumb has its own beat writer assigned to it soon.

1. El Bravo - Apr 4, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Chronic.

2. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Apr 4, 2012 at 5:38 PM

I just saw an article that cites this injury as one of the reasons why the Red Sox are “destined to implode.” Methinks the CBC should stick to covering hockey.

3. donk52 - Apr 4, 2012 at 5:45 PM

thumbfounded.

• natstowngreg - Apr 4, 2012 at 6:42 PM

*applause*

4. sabatimus - Apr 4, 2012 at 6:46 PM

I guess we’ll see in a few days, won’t we, Josh?

5. uyf1950 - Apr 4, 2012 at 8:25 PM

He has no idea how it got so blown out of proportion. Well let’s see. The Red Sox medical team tells him something. So he flies to a 2nd city to get a 2nd opinion they tell him something then to ease his mind he flies to the Cleveland Clinic for yet a 3rd opinion. And he can’t understand how it got blown out of proportion? What is he stupid.

• bigharold - Apr 4, 2012 at 10:03 PM

“What is he stupid.”

Ding Ding Ding Ding!!!! We have a winner.!

• pisano - Apr 4, 2012 at 10:20 PM

My friend, bigharold just answered your question.

6. aceshigh11 - Apr 4, 2012 at 10:29 PM

I think you can leave the “founded” off, Josh.

7. randygnyc - Apr 4, 2012 at 11:21 PM

I was holding out hope for a career ending amputation. Still am…..

8. pisano - Apr 5, 2012 at 10:52 AM

randygnyc… that’s a bit harsh, but a lobotomy would certainly raise his intelligence level!

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5628)