Apr 4, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT
The family of Tony Tufano, the man who was hit by pitcher Matt Bush has sued Bush — and Brandon Guyer, who owned the car Bush was driving — for $5 million each, according to the Tampa Bay Times. The family’s lawyer says that it’s possible that the Rays themselves will be added to the suit eventually too.
As for Tufano:
Shannon Moore, Tufano’s daughter-in-law, said there has been slight improvement. He could be moved from the ICU to a halfway or transition room in the next couple of days. Though he can’t talk due to a tracheotomy, he’s communicating with family members.
One never gets full satisfaction following a tragedy by going to court because money doesn’t truly make one whole. But yeah, I totally see why they’re doing this and I can’t blame ’em a bit.
As for the possibility of adding the Rays: eh, that’s always dicey and I would expect that unless Bush was drinking at a team function — and there has been no suggestion of this at all — they won’t be on the hook legally.
That said, if keeping them in the lawsuit a while causes them or Major League Baseball to go on record about what has been a rash of alcohol-related incidents in the past couple of years, it could serve a good purpose.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 54
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)