Apr 4, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT
The family of Tony Tufano, the man who was hit by pitcher Matt Bush has sued Bush — and Brandon Guyer, who owned the car Bush was driving — for $5 million each, according to the Tampa Bay Times. The family’s lawyer says that it’s possible that the Rays themselves will be added to the suit eventually too.
As for Tufano:
Shannon Moore, Tufano’s daughter-in-law, said there has been slight improvement. He could be moved from the ICU to a halfway or transition room in the next couple of days. Though he can’t talk due to a tracheotomy, he’s communicating with family members.
One never gets full satisfaction following a tragedy by going to court because money doesn’t truly make one whole. But yeah, I totally see why they’re doing this and I can’t blame ‘em a bit.
As for the possibility of adding the Rays: eh, that’s always dicey and I would expect that unless Bush was drinking at a team function — and there has been no suggestion of this at all — they won’t be on the hook legally.
That said, if keeping them in the lawsuit a while causes them or Major League Baseball to go on record about what has been a rash of alcohol-related incidents in the past couple of years, it could serve a good purpose.
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 32
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 40
- Brian Cashman calls out Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long 50
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 84
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL