Apr 4, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT
The family of Tony Tufano, the man who was hit by pitcher Matt Bush has sued Bush — and Brandon Guyer, who owned the car Bush was driving — for $5 million each, according to the Tampa Bay Times. The family’s lawyer says that it’s possible that the Rays themselves will be added to the suit eventually too.
As for Tufano:
Shannon Moore, Tufano’s daughter-in-law, said there has been slight improvement. He could be moved from the ICU to a halfway or transition room in the next couple of days. Though he can’t talk due to a tracheotomy, he’s communicating with family members.
One never gets full satisfaction following a tragedy by going to court because money doesn’t truly make one whole. But yeah, I totally see why they’re doing this and I can’t blame ’em a bit.
As for the possibility of adding the Rays: eh, that’s always dicey and I would expect that unless Bush was drinking at a team function — and there has been no suggestion of this at all — they won’t be on the hook legally.
That said, if keeping them in the lawsuit a while causes them or Major League Baseball to go on record about what has been a rash of alcohol-related incidents in the past couple of years, it could serve a good purpose.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 23
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)