Apr 4, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT
The family of Tony Tufano, the man who was hit by pitcher Matt Bush has sued Bush — and Brandon Guyer, who owned the car Bush was driving — for $5 million each, according to the Tampa Bay Times. The family’s lawyer says that it’s possible that the Rays themselves will be added to the suit eventually too.
As for Tufano:
Shannon Moore, Tufano’s daughter-in-law, said there has been slight improvement. He could be moved from the ICU to a halfway or transition room in the next couple of days. Though he can’t talk due to a tracheotomy, he’s communicating with family members.
One never gets full satisfaction following a tragedy by going to court because money doesn’t truly make one whole. But yeah, I totally see why they’re doing this and I can’t blame ‘em a bit.
As for the possibility of adding the Rays: eh, that’s always dicey and I would expect that unless Bush was drinking at a team function — and there has been no suggestion of this at all — they won’t be on the hook legally.
That said, if keeping them in the lawsuit a while causes them or Major League Baseball to go on record about what has been a rash of alcohol-related incidents in the past couple of years, it could serve a good purpose.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 75
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 76
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 102
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (103)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (102)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)
- Jonathan Papelbon blows save, gets ejected for making rude gesture at booing crowd (77)