Apr 4, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT
The family of Tony Tufano, the man who was hit by pitcher Matt Bush has sued Bush — and Brandon Guyer, who owned the car Bush was driving — for $5 million each, according to the Tampa Bay Times. The family’s lawyer says that it’s possible that the Rays themselves will be added to the suit eventually too.
As for Tufano:
Shannon Moore, Tufano’s daughter-in-law, said there has been slight improvement. He could be moved from the ICU to a halfway or transition room in the next couple of days. Though he can’t talk due to a tracheotomy, he’s communicating with family members.
One never gets full satisfaction following a tragedy by going to court because money doesn’t truly make one whole. But yeah, I totally see why they’re doing this and I can’t blame ‘em a bit.
As for the possibility of adding the Rays: eh, that’s always dicey and I would expect that unless Bush was drinking at a team function — and there has been no suggestion of this at all — they won’t be on the hook legally.
That said, if keeping them in the lawsuit a while causes them or Major League Baseball to go on record about what has been a rash of alcohol-related incidents in the past couple of years, it could serve a good purpose.
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 2
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 29
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 2
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 12
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 143
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)