Police pull their guns on Torii Hunter … while he’s in his own home

Apr 4, 2012, 7:56 PM EDT

Torii Hunter‘s Twitter feed got interesting in the past hour:

It was reported here. I assume if Hunter was less than accurate in his tweets, there would be something contradicting it in the story.

Hunter later tweeted his thanks to the Newport Beach police, saying “they did a great job of protecting my home. Thanks guys!”

Man. I spent part of last weekend in Orange County, California. It is a pretty lily white place. You don’t suppose they would have done the same thing if, say, C.J. Wilson came out the door while the alarm was going off, do you?

Nah, never. Because as my conservative friends always tell me, there is no more racism in this country.

UPDATE:  Hunter just added this tweet. It’s in keeping with his earlier tweets about the police doing their jobs. And it certainly shows that Hunter is not trying to make an issue out of this, even if his early tweets were somewhat, understandably, excited:

175 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. pepelestat - Apr 5, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Allow me to set you straight to all who think “one of the most visible professional athletes in southern California is not known by site or address by the police in the small suburb” argument.

Some background before I start. Born and raised in Orange County, still live in Costa Mesa right next door to Newport-FYI. Born in Orange, raised in Garden Grove/Stanton.

Now – I am not an Angel fan for this reason. The OC didn’t realize they had a baseball team before the ’02 world series. IMHO 75% of Angel game attendees could name the Angel lineup prior to ’02. Which leads me to my next point. Angels fans don’t give a crap about where the athletes live. Hell a couple years ago when the Angels clinched the division they came and partied at a local bar in Newport-The Goat Hill Tavern, word got around some people came had beer with some of them and left. No one followed them home. No one here cares. My point is saying that you are an Angel fan most likely means your a casual one. Not someone who reads a baseball blog daily! This police officer in question probably takes his child/ren to an Angel as a family outting and that is it!

In closing Craig, STFU about Orange County! This place is by far from lily white! There are multiple cities where their is a predominant nationality other than white, dude. I am white and when I go to these cities I don’t feel I am treated differently when I visit these other cities. Yah their is bad parts-but who cares I like some of there food, markets and/or stores.

/end rant…LOL

stick to baseball

have a nice day

2. thatguywhoisactuallyamiamisportsfan - Apr 5, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Did the cop at least ask for his autograph?

3. steveohho - Apr 5, 2012 at 2:34 PM

The United States has 5% of the world’s population and 25% of the world’s incarcerated. Welcome to the police state Torii!

4. eagles512 - Apr 6, 2012 at 12:19 AM

So big leagues, you’re saying the cops would have been better off taking Hunter’s word that he owned the house? So what if the guy ended up being an armed robber and not Hunter? Put yourself in the cops shoes….I know I’d do the same exact thing.

• bigleagues - Apr 6, 2012 at 11:28 PM

I’m saying that if they had rolled up on Jered Weaver with an alarm problem, they may have asked for an ID but they would not have pulled their weapons and walked him upstairs to get the ID.

Am I assuming? yeah. Is it an unreasonable assumption. Not at all.

• jimeejohnson - Apr 7, 2012 at 9:12 PM

It is what it is, or was. Hunter stayed above it all, and was glad to know the police come if alerted. He is a class act.

5. klownboy - Apr 6, 2012 at 6:27 AM

At least Torii squashed it at the end when he said the cops were just doing their jobs and that he was glad that they were protecting his house. Hunter is a true class act…

• jimeejohnson - Apr 7, 2012 at 9:14 PM

See my post above, meant as a reply to your post.

6. tmatic74 - Apr 7, 2012 at 8:31 AM

In 2012 guess what the cops see when they are looking at a million dollar black baseball player. Help me out Ice Cube.

Time for Red Sox to be sellers?
  1. J. Hammel (2495)