Police pull their guns on Torii Hunter … while he’s in his own home

Apr 4, 2012, 7:56 PM EDT

Torii Hunter‘s Twitter feed got interesting in the past hour:

It was reported here. I assume if Hunter was less than accurate in his tweets, there would be something contradicting it in the story.

Hunter later tweeted his thanks to the Newport Beach police, saying “they did a great job of protecting my home. Thanks guys!”

Man. I spent part of last weekend in Orange County, California. It is a pretty lily white place. You don’t suppose they would have done the same thing if, say, C.J. Wilson came out the door while the alarm was going off, do you?

Nah, never. Because as my conservative friends always tell me, there is no more racism in this country.

UPDATE:  Hunter just added this tweet. It’s in keeping with his earlier tweets about the police doing their jobs. And it certainly shows that Hunter is not trying to make an issue out of this, even if his early tweets were somewhat, understandably, excited:

175 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. metalhead65 - Apr 4, 2012 at 8:01 PM

here is an idea if you want to end profiling craig and I am just tossing it out there but maybe if the people who commit the majoriaty of the crimes were not of the same race then you would not have that problem.

• mitchhawkin - Apr 4, 2012 at 8:25 PM

White people commit more crimes, including violent crimes, than black people, Einstein.

• metalhead65 - Apr 4, 2012 at 8:54 PM

sure they that’s why prisons are full of minorities right? believe it or not this conserative white guy has been pulled over twice on my way to work at 5 in the morning simply because I drove an old beater that looked like a drug dealers car. my first time he followed me for 2 miles before he pulled me over and told me I was doing 38 in a 35 zone but after running everything thru he just said watch your speed and let me off with a warning. second time 2 days later he did not give a reason until after he had run everything thru then said bulb above plates was out and to get them fixed. they were profiling me because of my car but I did not file a complaint or protest because I had done nothing wrong. glad they wrere doing their job and trying to get dealers off the street.

• kopy - Apr 4, 2012 at 9:21 PM

“White people commit more (violent) crimes…”

Not per capita in the United States – which is what is applicable here. I know I’ll get thumbs down for saying it, but I’m just trying to un-distort the proposed fact.

• mitchhawkin - Apr 4, 2012 at 9:45 PM

@kopy I don’t disagree with you about per capita, but read metalhead65’s statement again. Blacks DON’T commit the majority of crimes in this country, but a lot of ignorant people assume they do. That’s worse than a distortion, it’s a lie. The fact is that a burglar in Newport Beach is more likely to be white than black. And by the way, Newport has a lot more wealthy people of color than it used to. Finally, note that I haven’t given my opinion on the actual story here. I’m fine with cops pulling their guns initially on ANYONE coming out of a house with an alarm going off. They have to protect themselves.

• beanocook - Apr 4, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Lies. Blacks way, way over index on all crime.

• beanocook - Apr 4, 2012 at 10:09 PM

A black person is several times more likely to commit a violent crime than a white person. That’s what matters here.

• kopy - Apr 4, 2012 at 10:15 PM

I didn’t look at metalhead’s original comment too closely. It’s tricky, because white folks do commit more crimes than blacks, but that’s because there are more whites period. A random burglar in Newport is most likely to be white, but if you run into 1 black man in a house, the odds of him being a burglar are higher than if you ran into 1 white person. Because, on average, black men are more likely to commit a crime.

I wish it didn’t have to be that way. Profiling can be a very ugly thing, but it is based on factual statistics.

• mitchhawkin - Apr 4, 2012 at 10:45 PM

@kopy But by the logic that racial profiling is understandable in this situation (if that’s not what you’re saying please let me know), then the opposite is true: The cops would be more likely to let down their guard if a white man walks out of a possible crime scene in Newport Beach than if a black man does. That assumption could get them killed. It’s why experienced cops know not to profile in that situation. It’s the amateurs and vigilantes who make that mistake. When you distill both sides of the argument, the far left is saying that cops are racist and the far right is saying that cops need to be racist. Both sides are wrong. Ask a cop.

• kopy - Apr 4, 2012 at 11:01 PM

I agree with you here. If I’m a police officer and I am called to an alarm, I’d feel the adrenaline and draw my gun on anything that was in the house, including a cat.

If a police officer were to profile, they would be better off doing it when they are bored on the beat and trying to find a potential threat, not when they are responding to a reported one.

And, of course, there are tons of ways to profile besides race in order to find somebody who doesn’t fit the norm. I read a story about a police officer who stopped a man on his way to rob a bank because he was wearing a trench coat in the summer. The suspect had a shotgun underneath it.

• mitchhawkin - Apr 4, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Agreed! I think we nailed it.

• purnellmeagrejr - Apr 5, 2012 at 7:01 AM

mtalhead – you forgot to preface your post, I’m not a racist, but….” ALos, was Mr. Hiunter wearing a hooodie?

• Jonny 5 - Apr 5, 2012 at 8:12 AM

Ohhh wonderful!! A “which race commits more crime thread” ! yay. I’ll tell you that after extensive research I’ve come to the conclusion on exactly which race is the most vile and evil of them all. Are you all ready for it? Hold onto your hats……It’s the Human race. Yeah. Now go press your white sheets or your panther shirts and join in for a round of kumbaya with us all.

• cleverbob - Apr 5, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Standard police procedure is to immediately shoot all cats on site when answering a house alarm. They’re not to be trusted.

• phillyphreak - Apr 4, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Well then. Good to know where you stand.

• mitchhawkin - Apr 4, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Everyone’s entitled to their own opinions but not to their own facts.

• bigleagues - Apr 4, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Give the guy a break … he’s got steel for brains.

Seriously, this is what happens when you give someone an AM radio and access to a computer.

• tellitlikeitisty - Apr 5, 2012 at 11:12 AM

hey craig,,,,,agreed racism exists….i know a president who went to a racist church for 20+ years….and still got 43 million white people to vote for him….if the shoe was on the other foot…..NOT A SINGLE VOTE…..ARGUE WITH THAT ONE,JUNIOR

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 5, 2012 at 1:01 PM

All thought you are “tellingitlikeitis”…you will note get real far on HBT. It’s primarily a site that is visited by those under 30 that vote with their hearts in lieu of their brains.
        The “warm and fuzzy” party voting crowd…if you will.

• b7p19 - Apr 5, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Right, nobody under 30 is can make intelligent decisions. Go away.

• tellitlikeitisty - Apr 5, 2012 at 11:23 AM

HOW COME IN EVERY ELECTION……the spanish guy gets 95 percent of the spanish vote…the oriental guy gets 95 percent of the oriental vote…the black guy gets 98 percent of the black vote…the white guy gets way less than any of the other 3 groups of the white vote…YET the only people who get the racist rap are white people…just a thought

• b7p19 - Apr 5, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Are you saying that black people are 3% more racist than the hispanics and asians?

• 18thstreet - Apr 5, 2012 at 5:54 PM

I don’t know why I’m arguing with this stuff, but Obama got roughly 95 percent of the black vote, just as Al Gore did and John Kerry did.

Black people vote for Democrats. I don’t know when this became news.

• tellitlikeitisty - Apr 6, 2012 at 12:37 PM

guess this is just my way(too crude,i admit) of asking….why are only whites held to a racial standard in this country????….whats wrong is wrong

2. The Baseball Idiot - Apr 4, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Lots of cops in Los Angeles who aren’t white.

It’s pretty much standard procedure for the police to pull their weapons anytime “anyone” walks out of a builiding that the alarm is going off in.

He doesn’t say that put him on the ground spread-eagle and frisked him, so sounds like they were taking his word for it.

Lots of cops get killed in situations where they assumed it was safe, so it’s always best for them to be careful, regardless of the location or person inovolved.

Since he’s able to twit about it and LOL, it doesn’t sound like it was a serious incident.

Sounds more like Torii Hunter trying to create controversy where none exists.

• Craig Calcaterra - Apr 4, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Actually, he specifically says they DIDN’T take his word for it and kept their guns on him while he went to get his identification.

And this is not LA. It’s Newport Beach, California, a very rich, very white upscale beach community.

• schlom - Apr 4, 2012 at 8:17 PM

What makes you any different than the police officers? You are both making judgements without knowing the facts.

• djeter220 - Apr 4, 2012 at 8:18 PM

If it was a very “white” community, wouldn’t they be justified in being suspicious of someone who didn’t match the appearance of the typical resident of this community found at the location of a burglary alarm? This isn’t exactly a George Zimmerman situation.

• djeter220 - Apr 4, 2012 at 8:20 PM

@schlom I think part of being a police officer is to make judgements before knowing facts

• scatterbrian - Apr 4, 2012 at 9:04 PM

There’s a reason people in SoCal refer to it as New Porsche Bleach.

• beanocook - Apr 4, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Craig, you are a joke. Your use of “lily white” was with attitude. Who kicked your dog today? Perhaps the cops shouldn’t have responded to the alarm. That would have been more consistent with a black neighborhood. But that kind of response would have been racist.

Racism does exist, but it doesn’t appear in every moment of life.

• Craig Calcaterra - Apr 4, 2012 at 10:20 PM

“Craig, you are a joke. Your use of “lily white” was with attitude.”

Why yes, it was. That’s what I do, see, It’s sort of my thing. I’m not reporting news here, Beano. I’m commenting on it. And my view is that when the owner of a home — who is a very famous athlete and who has lived there for several years — says “hey, it’s my house, no worries” or whatever it is Hunter said, and that the cops don’t believe him and continue to keep their guns drawn until he shows ID, that it’s worth questioning why that is.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Apr 4, 2012 at 10:35 PM

zoom to 7:45

• dnc6 - Apr 4, 2012 at 11:23 PM

So which of your conservative friends tell you racism doesn’t exist anymore. Names, first and last, would be ideal.

• Craig Calcaterra - Apr 4, 2012 at 11:28 PM

“My friends” is a figure of speech. But anything that has ever happened with racial overtones in the past several years has been met with conservative commentators, politicians and the like rushing out to explain how it was not racial AT ALL, and how dare anyone suggest otherwise.

Truly, find me one instance of a conservative acknowledging racism in recent events.

• dnc6 - Apr 5, 2012 at 2:19 AM

So it’s still the conservative boogeyman, and not anyone specific. We don’t have specific examples, but goshdarnit, those conservatives are always telling us racism is dead. I’m not the one claiming absolutes here, don’t try to pass on the burden of truth. I know there are racists, and I know some conservatives can say some pretty ignorant things regarding race, but I don’t know anyone claiming there is no more racism.

• stercuilus65 - Apr 5, 2012 at 3:08 AM

Gee Craig, anything that has ever happened to a minority in the past several years has been met with liberal commentators, politicians and the like rushing out to explain how it was racial, and how dare anyone suggest otherwise.

Truly, find me one instance of a liberal not always finding racism in recent events.

• Jonny 5 - Apr 5, 2012 at 8:05 AM

I’m not going to claim to know what’s going on here like some others, but I’m white. I’ve had cops pull their gun on me for what i considered to be “nothing” before. I also work with a guy who recently had a gun put in his face by a cop just for reaching for his registration. He’s white, clean cut, and 50 somethingish. He couldn’t blame his race for the incident. The fact is police are trained to prepare for the worst case scenario because it could simply lead to their very own deaths if they don’t follow a strict protocol. And what did the “victim” say about it all in this case?

” Those guys handled the situation like trained cops.”

Sometimes I don’t see why people desire to blame a standard police procedure on something like racism. I’m not denying it’s existence, that would be stupid. But saying this is a case of racism is also pretty stupid if you ask me. Even Hunter who would have NO PROBLEM AT ALL WITH POINTING OUT RACISM, Does not feel this was the case. SMH.

• skids003 - Apr 5, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Craig, that is BS. To say conservatives are always racist and liberals never are, you are from another planet. There is just as many of one as the other. Liberals make “talk the talk,” but they don’t all walk the walk either. That is nothing more than a liberal “talking point”, trying to get votes and keep power. Are you trying to tell me that just because someone is African American he couldn’t be a conservative? Sounds like it.

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 5, 2012 at 1:06 PM

“You don’t suppose they would have done the same thing if, say, C.J. Wilson came out the door while the alarm was going off, do you?” Why WOULD they take his word for it Craig? Please advise. I anxiously await your attempt at an un-biased answer.
        It’s gonna be tough though considering YOU are race baiting. Let me venture a guess.
        You are on Reverands Al and Jesse’s payroll?

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 5, 2012 at 2:57 PM

“You don’t suppose they would have done the same thing if, say, C.J. Wilson came out the door while the alarm was going off, do you?” Why WOULD they “take his word for it” Craig? They were responding to a burglary call as a result of the alarm going off. As they are approaching a dude comes out of the house. So again…why would they take his word for it? On second thought…you are right Craig. Criminals always tell the truth and at that point in the investigation it was clearly established who the homeowner was and who the criminal was. I mean…after all…there is no way he could have been the burglar who set the alarm off right? You are race baiting Craig and I am dissapointed in you.

• shea801 - Apr 4, 2012 at 8:27 PM

The Baseball Idiot, I agree with everything you say (I dispatch PD). ‘Lily white’ doesn’t mean anything to an officer going to an alarm. A party walking out of the front door unannounced means a lot, regardless of color. It’s not always racism, Craig. Not all Cops are racist profilers. God forbid you try to explain this to anyone on the left.

I do disagree that he’s trying to make it a controversy, I think he tweeted it because its something extraordinary to have happen to himself (as it would be to anyone who has the cops pull a gun on them). Hence the reason he made sure to bring up his thanks for the job they did. Unfortunately, this whole thing (as Craig has already alleged and implied) is going to be painted as a racist incident and a case of officers profiling.

Seriously, this sh*t happens. Just because its a wealthy area doesn’t mean shady things don’t happen there. I guarantee every cop in that town has a story that would make you question what’s wrong with humanity. People with money might not have the public perception as degenerates and scumbags like others, mainly because they have the money to hide it.

• amaninwhite - Apr 4, 2012 at 8:36 PM

“create controversy”??

Sounds more like Torii Hunter trying to share a story that would have anyone’s heart racing for hours after the fact.

• The Baseball Idiot - Apr 4, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Fact 1: Torii Hunter is an intelligent man

Fact 2: Torii Hunter has been known to play the race card before (re: Jackie Robinson Day)

Fact 3: Cops get killed everyday, by people of all colors, races, and nationalities.

Fact 4: The cops have a right to be cautious, regardless of color, race, or nationalitie.

Opinion 1: Torii Hunter knew as soon as he twitted this that people were going to automatically go to the assumption of racism. He has not supplied any proof that the police treated him any differently than anyone else in that situation. (I used to live in LA, and spent time in Newport Beach. I’m a white man from the Ozarks, and I got an attitude from them. I also spent a lot of time in East LA, Compton, and South Central, and I was treated differently than the people who lived there)

Fact 5: The community has a responsibility to treat Torii Hunter the same as any other person without regards to the color of his skin.

Fact 6: Torii Hunter has a responsibility to the community to not create racial issues when none exist.

Opinion 2: He should have either called the cops out for being racist, or said flat out that there was no racism involved. He purposely left it ambiguous to create controversy, and can then later claim he never made any specific quotes.

Fact 7: Implying something is the same thing as saying it.

Fact 8: Saying something without proof does not make Torii Hunter the better person in this situation.

• schlom - Apr 4, 2012 at 9:28 PM

I don’t think Hunter is trying to create controversy here at all. Again, why are people assuming motives for people when they don’t have any idea? Craig thinks the cops are racists, others think Hunter is creating controversy. Why do we have to try to interpret everyone actions (and obviously through our own perspective)?

• alexo0 - Apr 4, 2012 at 9:30 PM

I don’t believe Hunter mentions anything about racism. Perhaps your interpretation of the incident says more about you than it does about Torii.

• cosanostra71 - Apr 4, 2012 at 9:25 PM

This isn’t the LAPD, this is the Orange County Sheriff’s Department, which has gotten EXTREMELY trigger happy over the last year or so. I can think of at least 4 officer-involved shootings since the New Year (and it’s only early April) including one that resulted in the death of a Marine Sargent. Not to mention the beating death of a homeless man by several Fullerton Police Officers last year. I’m not anti-police, but there is a huge issue here in Orange County right now with the police/sheriff’s departments. After all, we are only a few years removed from Sheriff Mike Carona, who is currently serving a federal prison term for corruption.

And Craig, this isn’t a Newport Beach problem, as there has been similar issues going on lately in Santa Ana as well and I wouldn’t call Santa Ana a “very rich, very white upscale beach community”. It’s a county wide problem.

• cosanostra71 - Apr 4, 2012 at 9:27 PM

@scatterbrian: I can’t honestly I’ve ever heard anyone call it that.

• mirmz - Apr 5, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Agreed, but this isn’t an OC Sheriff Department issue – Newport has their own PD since they don’t contract out with the Sheriff. Incidents have been happening in the area, but separate police departments. And to be completely honest, based on nothing but personal experience, I’d rather deal with a Sheriff’s deputy than a NBPD officer.

You’d think Cops that work in a beach community would be a lot chiller, but goddammit they are on edge.

• cosanostra71 - Apr 5, 2012 at 2:41 PM

yes this is NBPD. I’ve noticed that local police department have been having similar issues recently too however. Fullerton PD and the Kelly Thomas case comes immediately to mind. I still understand that police deal with a lot though, but there does seem to be a trigger happy trend in Orange County right now.

• bigleagues - Apr 5, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Wow that’s quite an assessment. And completely ignorant of reality.

I worked at multi-million dollar baseball facility. Often there were times I was working late at night or on the weekends and was the only one in the front offices.

A couple of times I tripped the front door alarm by entering the code incorrectly or not shutting the door in time.

And wouldn’t ya know it, when the cops arrived they didn’t pull their guns on me and force me to show ID. NOT ONCE.

But then I’m White, so that helps explain part of it. A rather large part of it.

Around the same period of time, I was home one night when I noticed Police lights outside my apt. So I peered out my window to see what was occurring. Several PD cruisers had pulled over a car of Black males. I grabbed my camera and began to film. I watched and filmed as PD patted down the Black males, then had them empty their pockets as two officers searched through the passenger areas and trunk. At one point they appeared to be attempting to pull up the rear seats (this is all right on a main road, mind you). And then, I noticed one cop notice me in my window. He looked over at his partner and muttered something. His partner then flashed his flash light right at me. I didn’t back away, then he flashed the light at me again. I backed away from the window for about 60 seconds. When I went back to the window, the Black males were suddenly being allowed to get back in their car be on their way.

That’s racial profiling my friend. It’s not the first time I had witnessed before or since. And the shit is real.

I’ve stopped for ‘allegedly’ speeding probably a dozen times in my life. NOT ONCE has my car been searched. NOT ONCE has a cop even dared to ask to search my car.

A cop in that very same town was recently caught – on his OWN cruiser camera – planting a baggie of ‘drugs’ in the driveway of a Black male out on probation from a non-violent crime. He was arrested on for violation of his probation moments later. The ‘suspect’ had the good sense to FOI the cruiser camera footage – went public with it – and the corrupt cop – to the towns credit was terminated soon thereafter.

That’s one town in one State in the allegedly uber liberal enlightened Northeast. Imagine what it must be like in the Deep South. No offense guys, but Mississippi is the only state I’m aware of that still harbors and shields a KKK-linked sheriff who everyone, including the FBI knows killed an innocent Black man for having the misfortune of witnessing that same Sheriff and a State Senator kill another Black man. Nobody will talk because why? They’re afraid that a near 80-year-old retired racist sheriff will exact revenge? Bullshit.

Maybe this kind of thing doesn’t bother Tori Hunter. Or maybe, for him the experience is relative… as in having Newport Beach Cops draw their weapons in his home is more pleasant than when, say, police in Pine Bluff, Arkansas draw their weapons.

• koufaxmitzvah - Apr 5, 2012 at 8:03 AM

You’re lucky the cops didn’t decide to make a stink about you filiming them in action. That’s the big thing sweeping the nation these days.

• skids003 - Apr 5, 2012 at 12:33 PM

And you’ll be the first guy to scream for help to the police when someone mugs you. Or want to know why they weren’t there to stop someone breaking in your apartment.

• bigleagues - Apr 5, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Koufaxmitzvah

Yeah, I’m aware. But I live in one of the more liberal (small L) states anywhere and I’m very aware of my Constitutional Rights. Honestly I don’t care where it is, if I see something IN PUBLIC that needs to be recorded, I’m gonna do it. We’ll sort the rest out in court if need be.

• bigleagues - Apr 5, 2012 at 11:53 PM

skids003

At 6’+ 200+ I’m not your typical mugging target.

I have MANY cops who are close friends, and three cops and several firefighters in my immediate family. I know the difference between good and bad *public servants*.

But go ahead and feel free to make blanket excuses for bad cops who break the law.

3. hojo20 - Apr 4, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Reminds me of the Skip Gates case, but Torii was a gentleman here. Gates went berserk and that led to his arrest and the “Beer Summit” with Barry O.

• phukyouk - Apr 4, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Barry? oh… you must mean the dude that wasnt born in the US.
      -Luke Scott

4. scareduck - Apr 4, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Parts of OC (and certainly, Newport Coast) certainly do live up to their reputation as lily-white. But Santa Ana, Garden Grove, Westminster, and large parts of Anaheim and Huntington Beach are most assuredly not that way.

5. schlom - Apr 4, 2012 at 8:15 PM

When a cop assumes something about a person they are racist.

When Craig assumes something about a cop it’s….what?

• Ben - Apr 4, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Justified, usually. The inability acknowledge structural racism in this country is a real problem.

• schlom - Apr 4, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Because the police officers were suspicious of a black person that makes them racist? If I was wandering around South Central Los Angeles or East LA I’d assume that the same police officers would find that suspicious – does that make them unracist? Or totally racist?

• Baseball Beer Burritos In That Order - Apr 4, 2012 at 9:50 PM

The inability acknowledge structural racism in this country is a real problem.

I wish I could give this comment a million thumbs up.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Apr 4, 2012 at 10:42 PM

I spent 4 years in the Bronx on 191st street riding the subway most days which were probably 97% black, 2% asian and 1% white. Never had an issue with the cops like you are presuming.

• scottbrowne - Apr 4, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Reality.

• paperlions - Apr 4, 2012 at 8:29 PM

When your racism leads to drawing guns on a man in his own house, that is quite a bit different than when you assumption results in the open question “would this have happened if a white guy walked out of the front door”. One could result in murder, the other results in a discussion.

• schlom - Apr 4, 2012 at 8:38 PM

What the hell do you know about anything? Are you a police officer in Orange County? Unless you are how can know anything about the motives of these police officers?

• beanocook - Apr 4, 2012 at 10:19 PM

The cops didn’t know who’s house it was. They didn’t have any evidence to know up to and until the moment Tori displayed an ID, at which point the cops holstered their weapons.

Had the cops known it was Tori’s house and knew it was Tori, they would never have pulled their weapons upon identifying him. It is inaccurate to say the cops pointed a guy at a homeowner in his own house. They pointed the guy at an unidentified suspicious individual.

• Craig Calcaterra - Apr 4, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Actually, read Hunter’s tweets. He identified himself as the homeowner. The cops did not believe him and walked him upstairs at gunpoint to get his ID.

• anythingbutyanks - Apr 4, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Well they shouldn’t have believed him…is it not reasonable to assume that if the alarm is going off then the person in the house is not the homeowner, until they PROVE otherwise?
        Are a lot of cops racist? Perhaps. Is there anything in this situation that cannot be just as equally explained without bringing race into it? No! And when you consider that the police didn’t know whether anyone else was in the house, they were right to be safe and carry their weapons at ready position as they went in. There was no brutality, no threats, no racist statements, or anything else to suggest impropriety; nothing but a scary situation for everyone that was quickly diffused. The cops and Torii all responded well to deescalate the situation ASAP.

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 5, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Bullshit Paper. Their guns were already drawn. I don’t care it was Queen Elizabeth she would have had the gun drawn on her (AND POINTED TO THE GROWN SAFELY LIKE TORI SAID). Drama…drama…drama…drama…drama. The Jerry Springer mentality.

• koufaxmitzvah - Apr 5, 2012 at 8:47 AM

I don’t see Craig with a gun. And he’s definitely not forcing you to read his blog.

Schlom as a victim? Sure buddy. Run with that.

• cosanostra71 - Apr 5, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Yes Craig, he identified himself as the homeowner. So the police are just supposed to automatically assume he is telling the truth? Every single person in jail is innocent, if you’d just ask them.

6. irishdodger - Apr 4, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Ahh, any opportunity to inject race is rarely passed up. Rev Al Sharpton & Jesse Jackson would be proud.

7. Ben - Apr 4, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Wow, people are seriously arguing that this whole thing isn’t inflected by racism?

• anythingbutyanks - Apr 4, 2012 at 11:49 PM

If an alarm were going off in your home would you want the police to just take the word of the first person to walk out of your house, even if it were a burglar? I think not. And if it WERE a burglar, would you want the cops to respond in a fashion where they are not ready for anything that might happen, i.e. no weapons? I should hope not.
      Could racism have played a role? Absolutely. Did it? We have no reason to think it did, as the situation was quickly and safely resolved.

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 5, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Wow…you can’t be serious Ben. Yeah…they should have taken his word for it. In fact…they should always take the persons word for it. No one ever lies and as someone said…everyone in jail or prison is innocent. WAKE UP!

8. dashortstop517 - Apr 4, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Lola

9. steviep23 - Apr 4, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Glad no one got hurt. Seems like they did what they were supposed to do. Nothing to see here folks.

10. jimeejohnson - Apr 4, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Dennis Rodman lives in Newport Beach, and he is a model of civility. Whadya mean, “no he’s not”

• jimeejohnson - Apr 4, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Forgot the ? mark. Stay classy, grammar police.

11. alexo0 - Apr 4, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Was Torii wearing a hoodie at the time?

• shea801 - Apr 4, 2012 at 8:43 PM

i lol’d

12. timasahh - Apr 4, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Misspelled “their” twice. Call me the grammar police, but that is still one of my biggest pet peeves. Glad in the end that Tori can get past the event, though. He could very easily have turned this into a sticky situation.

• Glen - Apr 4, 2012 at 10:25 PM

How many “pet” peeves do you have, and how can pet peeves be big or small?

13. sabatimus - Apr 4, 2012 at 8:56 PM

“We got arrested for driving while black on a Friday night. It was a misdemeanor so I figured we’d be in and out”.

14. bigxrob - Apr 4, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Where does it say that the cops were white? Or are we just assuming?

• Ben - Apr 4, 2012 at 9:12 PM

It’s not about whether the cops were white or not. George Zimmerman is latino. It’s about the assumption that black men are suspicious.

• anythingbutyanks - Apr 4, 2012 at 11:51 PM

People walking out of expensive homes with alarms going off are suspicious, be they white, black, red, yellow, green, purple or whatever.

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 5, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Yeah…and Yahoo initially reported him as “White Hispanic.” I read the article myself.
        That is race baiting. That is what the media does. Including Calcaterra apparently.
        But of course…if your looking for hits why not use explosives headlines and dream shit up?

• tellitlikeitisty - Apr 6, 2012 at 12:33 PM

guess that means craig was profiling….no ?

15. schlom - Apr 4, 2012 at 9:04 PM

I’m just baffled by Craig’s insistence on dropping the race card whenever possible. Were the cops racist? Who the hell knows – certainly Craig doesn’t have any idea. I don’t understand why he does it – is it simply to show how caring he is about non-whites? Does it just make him feel superior to “racist conservatives?” Or is it just to show everyone that he’s a good liberal?

• stercuilus65 - Apr 5, 2012 at 3:13 AM

The last three.

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 5, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Well stated Schlom. My money is the latter. Specifically…the “good liberal” thing.

16. yankeesfanlen - Apr 4, 2012 at 9:05 PM

In my home……where my wife sleeps and my children come to play with their toys………

17. Walk - Apr 4, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Our policy was weapons out when investigating and clearing an active alarm or clearing a building which might have a suspect inside. We have provided cards to local buisness to id employee keyholders and residents. Most people do not fill those out. You can always pick those up at a substation. In Tori’s case i would have asked for id and have him fill out a field interview card in case i needed to contact him at a later date. Seems like the officers did not do anything that is not done in that situation every day.

18. bobwheel - Apr 4, 2012 at 9:09 PM

“And it certainly shows that Hunter is not trying to make an issue out of this”

But, you are, Craig.

• Craig Calcaterra - Apr 4, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Oh yes, I am. I am not denying that. I find it interesting that one of the most visible professional athletes in southern California is not known by site or address by the police in the small suburb in which he lives.

• schlom - Apr 4, 2012 at 9:19 PM

It’s quite possible that it’s policy for the police to check IDs – whether or not the person is known by the officers. I’m sure you of all people would want the police to show no favoritism.

• beanocook - Apr 4, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Maybe the cops *thought* it was Tori, but weren’t 100% sure, since he wasn’t wearing an Angels cap. They probably wisely decided not to make the assumption that every seemingly wealthy black man is an athlete, instead they asked for his ID.

• kopy - Apr 4, 2012 at 11:53 PM

It’s also possible they were 100% sure it was him, but they wanted to check the address on his ID to make sure he lived there. He obviously did nothing wrong tonight, but if he did break into someone’s home, he wouldn’t have been the first pro athlete to do so.

• anythingbutyanks - Apr 4, 2012 at 11:54 PM

I’m guessing that particular community is full of highly visible, wealthy people of all sorts, including athletes, actors, businessmen, and so forth. And maybe the cop isn’t really an Angels fan, but just said he was out of embarrassment.

• cur68 - Apr 5, 2012 at 3:00 AM

“one of the most visible professional athletes in southern California is not known by site” (and on sight)
        Actually, that’s what really bugs me. I’ve never laid eyes on Torii Hunter in person. But if I imagine that if I was responding to an address that had that name attached to it…I’d expect to see Torii Hunter. I’d probably recognize Mr. Hunter. He’s ‘effin famous. Why the need to walk him back into his house at gunpoint? Would you walk Donald Trump back into his house, alarm blaring, at gun point? No. I suspect not. You’d recognize Donal Trump. What’s so flippin’ hard about recognizing Torii Hunter? He’s on the TV at least as, if not more often, than Trump.

• stercuilus65 - Apr 5, 2012 at 3:12 AM

Absolute BS Craig, maybe they aren’t baseball fans and even if they were how many would actually recognize an athlete out of their uniform?
        Say hi to AL Sharpton for me.

• bigleagues - Apr 5, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Craig, I FULLY agree with you on this point. It’s borderline absurd.

19. ddmcd1974 - Apr 4, 2012 at 9:11 PM

I was in Newark NJ the other day and cops followed me then pulled me over hands on their weapons both sides of my car. Of course I was profiled as whitey looking for drugs. Do I give a crap? Nope. They should profile me. That is the world we live in.

20. indaburg - Apr 4, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Reminds me of a bit from Dave Chapelle:

“Somebody broke into my house once. This is a good time to call the police, but nuh uhn, nope. The house was too nice. It was a real nice house, they would never believed I lived in it. They’d be like, he’s still here! (mimicking police) Oh my God. Open and shut case, Johnson. I saw this once when I was a rookie. Apparently the n****r broke in and put up pictures of his family everywhere.”

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Apr 4, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Damn, didn’t see this earlier comment. Posted the youtube link above though

21. ddmcd1974 - Apr 4, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Ben that’s bullshit because I just gave you an example of me being zeroed in on simply because I was white in a black area of Newark nj, since I began working in Newark I’ve been stopped over 15 times easily. Over a decade. Not one ticket. Just checked out cause I’m white in a black area.

22. Walk - Apr 4, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Verbal persuasion
    unarmed self defense
    oc spray
    baton or k9
    presentation of deadly force
    deadly force

Investigating an active alarm brings that to step five. Other stuff i am seeing in comments is stuff that happens. Officers especially nervous ones will place their hands on their weapons. I strenously advise against that as it can escalate a situation out of control but if that officer suspects something may be wrong then better safe than sorry. If an officer that works for me does it repeatedly i will handle it. If they are not calm and confident on traffic stops perhaps a new assignment will help them ease into a very stressful career. As far as pulling over a suspicious vehicle i can do that all i want, most states do not use ten codes but we still do, 10-39 suspicious vehicle. The ten codes and signals vary state to state. If i think a vehicle may be casing a place but otherwise has done nothing wrong i may well pull them over without them having to make a moving violation. Reasons for this are wrong type of car for neighborhood, wrong time of day or night for traffic, just numerous. This is generally done when there is an increase of crime out of the statistical mean for an area. All we are after is keeping up a presence and deterring unlawful activity. I promise you though if i pull you over you there is a reason other than just i thought you were out of place. Now that reason technically is on the books for a stop and it does get used but i promise you when i hear it as a supervisor i will be there shortly to deal with it. I may or may not tell you but i will find out why it was done. I feel it is unprofessional to do so. In fact last time i used it was around ten years back. We had an alarm go off, intrusion plus motion, upon arriving i noticed a vehicle exiting the area quickly accelerating, but i judged under speed limit paralell to me going opposite direction a street over. I called it in turned after vehicle who made next immediate turn, my emergency lights and flashers were off, upon pulling close to vehicle to read tag the vehicle made another turn. I turned again and asi did the vehicle then made another turn. Needless to say i had had enough. I pulled that vehicle. Long story short i made the gentleman nervous, he had done nothing wrong. The guy that broke into the building turned himself into emergency room later suffering from several deep cuts to his hands from a broken window and display for golf clubs. I am sorry folks bad things happens, the only thing i can promise you is that we try tp do our jobs as safely and professionaly as we can.

• bigleagues - Apr 5, 2012 at 12:35 AM

I have several cops in my family and who are friends. You just described the kind of PROFESSIONAL RESPECTFUL Policing I think we all hope for and expect. Sadly that is not reality in many towns and cities across America. Bad things happen in any profession. But its the cops and departments who obfuscate and/or ignore the laws and the lengths they go to cover their tracks who create the disdain and animosity toward reputable, professional, reasonable police.

My friends and family who are PD are the latter, and they are the most angry at the cops who tarnish the profession they take so much pride. The problem is, as you are likely aware…is getting the good cops to turn in the bad cops. From what I have learned and observed it doesn’t happen nearly enough.

23. mississippimusicman - Apr 4, 2012 at 9:52 PM

The same sort of thing happened to Kevin Smith, a big, bearded, white guy who happens to be a fairly famous actor/writer/director/comedian. He was watching a violent movie in his home, with the windows open, and the neighbors thought someone was being attacked and called it in. The police showed up and checked his ID (and looked around inside his home) too. It’s not a race thing, it’s a safety thing.

24. Baseball Beer Burritos In That Order - Apr 4, 2012 at 10:01 PM

A. I don’t think Torii had an initial reaction that it was racism, I’m pretty sure he was just tweeting on adrenaline.
    B. I am really bummed out that this article is able to generate so much discussion when HanRam and Jose Reyes already misplayed a grounder in a regular season game and we should all be mocking them for being so cavalier about it.
    C. I don’t think there was anything racially motivated about this specific instance, I have had it go both ways with officers responding to an alarm (guns out, guns holstered and very friendly and calm. the holstered instance was at 9am, the guns drawn was at night, understandable).
    D. Having said that I don’t think this was racially motivated, people who think racism doesn’t exist or that it is justified because “it doesn’t just go one way, blacks hate me because I’m white” are in serious need of a frank and civil discussion about systemic racism and the inherent difficulty of trying to heal the divide in our country stemming from slavery to segregation through to today. I don’t think this is an appropriate forum for getting into detail, so I won’t, but you would better serve yourselves, your family, and your country by educating yourself.

• Old Gator - Apr 4, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Back to baseball: see my comment a few threads down on the game result concerning that misplayed grounder. It was a clown show in slow motion.

25. aceshigh11 - Apr 4, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Well…Torii Hunter didn’t end up like Trayvon Martin at least.

Yay, progress.

• Old Gator - Apr 4, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Well, they were professional cops instead of some greasy neighborhood watch dilettante with the little nobody’s equivalent of a case of Munchausen by Proxy Syndrome.

• aceshigh11 - Apr 4, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Well…did you hear about the black, 68 year-old Vietnam vet in Westchester County, NY whose medic alert device went off erroneously?

The cops showed up, he told them it was a false alarm, and for some ungodly, inexplicable reason, the situation escalated to the point where the cops were hurling racial epithets at him (the man’s medic alert device recorded the entire exchange), rammed his door down, tazed him, and pumped two shotgun rounds into his chest, killing him.

The White Plains PD refuses to release the names of the cops involved and isn’t investigating the matter.

• stercuilus65 - Apr 6, 2012 at 3:25 AM

Yeah becauseTorii didn’t attack the cops.

• aceshigh11 - Apr 6, 2012 at 4:32 PM

You have NO evidence that that occurred, aside from what the unhinged Zimmerman alleged.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate