Yankees acquire Chris Stewart from Giants, send “red-eyed and stunned” Francisco Cervelli to Triple-A
Apr 4, 2012, 4:50 PM EST
Russell Martin will have a new backup this season, as the Yankees acquired journeyman catcher Chris Stewart from the Giants in exchange for minor-league right-hander George Kontos and optioned Francisco Cervelli to Triple-A.
Cervelli has been in the majors since 2009, backing up Jorge Posada and then Martin while hitting .272 with a .338 on-base percentage and .354 slugging percentage in 181 games. He’s also thrown out 27 percent of steal attempts.
Marc Carig of the Newark Star Ledger described Cervelli as “red-eyed and stunned” when told of his demotion, and rightfully so because he’s an above average backup catcher and beyond worthy of a big-league roster spot.
I’m not sure the same can be said about Stewart, who’s hit just .200 with a .563 OPS in 93 games as a major leaguer and .259 with a .695 OPS in 421 games at Triple-A. In other words, Cervelli has hit as well in the majors as Stewart has at Triple-A, but the key difference here is that Cervelli had a minor-league option remaining and thus the Yankees can keep him in the organization while adding some catching depth.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)