Apr 4, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
Zack Greinke dropped his agent in December and said in February that there was “no reason” for him to hire a new one, but the Brewers right-hander has done just that by hiring Casey Close of Excel Sports Management.
Close previously worked for Creative Artists Agency, which is the representation that Greinke left in December.
Greinke is an impending free agent and the timing is especially interesting after Matt Cain signed a $112.5 million extension with the Giants earlier this week rather than potentially hit the open market alongside Greinke and Cole Hamels.
Greinke was coy with reporters when asked how the Cain deal could impact his situation and it’s possible his various quirks could limit the number of teams interested, but if healthy he seems destined for a contract in excess of $100 million. In other words, Close just snagged himself one helluva commission.
General manager Doug Melvin told Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that he plans to speak with Close tomorrow, but it’s unclear if Greinke is interested in negotiating a deal at this point.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)