Apr 4, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
Zack Greinke dropped his agent in December and said in February that there was “no reason” for him to hire a new one, but the Brewers right-hander has done just that by hiring Casey Close of Excel Sports Management.
Close previously worked for Creative Artists Agency, which is the representation that Greinke left in December.
Greinke is an impending free agent and the timing is especially interesting after Matt Cain signed a $112.5 million extension with the Giants earlier this week rather than potentially hit the open market alongside Greinke and Cole Hamels.
Greinke was coy with reporters when asked how the Cain deal could impact his situation and it’s possible his various quirks could limit the number of teams interested, but if healthy he seems destined for a contract in excess of $100 million. In other words, Close just snagged himself one helluva commission.
General manager Doug Melvin told Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that he plans to speak with Close tomorrow, but it’s unclear if Greinke is interested in negotiating a deal at this point.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (154)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)