Apr 4, 2012, 3:15 PM EST
Zack Greinke dropped his agent in December and said in February that there was “no reason” for him to hire a new one, but the Brewers right-hander has done just that by hiring Casey Close of Excel Sports Management.
Close previously worked for Creative Artists Agency, which is the representation that Greinke left in December.
Greinke is an impending free agent and the timing is especially interesting after Matt Cain signed a $112.5 million extension with the Giants earlier this week rather than potentially hit the open market alongside Greinke and Cole Hamels.
Greinke was coy with reporters when asked how the Cain deal could impact his situation and it’s possible his various quirks could limit the number of teams interested, but if healthy he seems destined for a contract in excess of $100 million. In other words, Close just snagged himself one helluva commission.
General manager Doug Melvin told Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that he plans to speak with Close tomorrow, but it’s unclear if Greinke is interested in negotiating a deal at this point.
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 0
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 28
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 154
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 42
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 16
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (154)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (84)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (78)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (70)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (69)